Okay...so I'm ready for my 10 year old to knock off the smart mouth crap already.Can anyone tell me when this phase will end?????

I'm ready to pull my hair out today.
Last week, he was pretty good..I was so proud of him. He was helpful,respectful and even nice.
But guess what? HE'S BACK!
If I hear one more "WHATEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR,MOMMMMMMMMMMMM" out of his lips, I may be forced to to put him in a box,wrap it up and stamp it for TIN BUK TU!! lol
When will this phase end? ever? never? soon? I don't want grey hair yet...:(

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 2:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Awwww...I'm not alone! My son is 9 and he has always been so sweet until now...He is so mouthy and it drives me nuts!! Just yesterday i told him that I'm highly considering dropping him off at one of those safe haven places (the place where people can drop their unwanted newborns off at) because this isn't working. Haha! He just said, "good." Ugh!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It may possibly end after he graduates from college.. I will let you know in two more years.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They are like every other typical kid of any age. Always testing to see if the rules are really the rules, if no really means no. They want you to be consistent. I found that one warning should be enough that it isn't acceptable. And then I start taking privileges away. A week without internet, a week without tv, a week without friends, a week without the cellphone, a week with more chores at my choosing. Then to get those privileges back they have to show me they are responsible and capable of appropriate behavior and I get to decide when they return. Maybe a day at a time, maybe the whole thing back, it depends. They are a little more careful. I try not to let my temper get involved. The rules are clear and I am consistent. Once you give in, they have ya! Kids crave boundaries and want you to care and love them. The smart mouth will slow down and go away and they will take you seriously if you demand it.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am the MEAN MOM. I do not allow my child to speak that way. When he does, it is an immediate punishment. Straight to bed (in my house, bedrooms are for sleeping so there are NO tvs, stereos, toys, video games, books...nothing but a bed and a dresser), or loss of TV privledges or no PSP.

Disrespect will not be tolerated at any level. If I allow him to treat me that way, then how do you think he is going to treat his future girlfriends? wife? in-laws? He will learn to respect all people and especially women.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Lol, if anyone has the answer to this, pass it on!!! I have a ten year old, whose favorite phrase is, "Uh, Yeah, OK, Whatever!" Makes me want to scream every time he says it!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Mine is going to be 12yrs old and he is still mouthy! If you find a way to stop it let me know. I am also ready to pull out my hair!
    sdADDmom

Answer by sdADDmom at 2:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They All go through this Little Phase- i promise he will come back down to earth; probably not as soon as you would like though! Sorry! Maybe you should Take Something Away that is really Important to him everytime he says- " What Ever Mom" Even though it is normal, you still need to Draw the line somewhere! Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Don't take things so seriously. He'll be fine but it will get worse before it gets better. Learn to laugh at him instead of getting angry. They tend to mellow about 17 so he has a few more years. Make the best of them and let a lot of his childishness slide.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with LifesADance. That is how I did it with my oldest who is now 11. Now all I have to say is "Oh Really?" and he cuts it out. Sometimes though he still needs a reminder that I mean business.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My dd for some reason has been fine with listening to her father and i. But she was a real smart aleck a couple of weeks ago, i think it's because both her father nd i communicate very weel aboutr the rules and she even hears us discuss them out loud.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010