What would you do/say if your teenage daughter came home and told you she was pregnant?

Now, Im not in this boat (thank goodness as my children are 3 and 10 months) but was thinking about this earlier today as I was/am a teenage parent. My mother didn't react well to my first pregnancy....and I think that set me off with a bad attitude towards my twins. I spent that pregnancy blaming them for my problems.

Have been thinking how I would deal with this situation if my daughters came to me with a similar dilemma to what i found myself in.....What would YOU say or do to your child?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 11:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It is really hard to say unless you are in this situation but I would be supportive. I am sure that it wouldn't be intentional and I know that it would be hard for her and scary. You really can't change it and God obviously has a plan for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well if shesaid "Mom I'm pregnant" I would say, "How do you feel about that" I would'nt make a big fuss. If she needed my help raising the baby I would be there for her every step of the way. Of course I hope to never be in this situation becasue I plan on putting my girls on birth control asap.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I only know how I handled it with my son. He was 19 and his gf was 17 and she was pregnant. What can you say. The damage is done. Throwing them out of the house only copmpounds the problem. You get upset, you cry and then you try to help them learn their options. You help them as much as you can while making them take responsibility for their actions.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have wondered this same thing because m6y son is 13 what would I do if he came home and said his girldfriend was pregnant. I would prob tell him I was disappointed that this happened but notw that it has happened what are we gonna do. I would sit down with them and ask their plans and help where I could
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I got pregnant at 16. I was 5 days late, and took a test by myself, and got a negative. Almost two weeks later, I still hadn't started, so I decided to tell my mom. When I got up in the morning, my bf, (DH now) came over and I just told her that I was 2 weeks late. She just looked up from the paper she was reading and said, "well, you should probably go take a test then huh? I'll call in to the school and tell them you won't be there today, and you guys go out and get a test." I did, and it was positive, and she hugged me and told me everything was going to be ok, that she would help me, and she called her doc and made me an appointment.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• She was there for me through the whole thing, and helped me out after she was born so I could work. She had the talk with me, about all my "options" but they weren't options for me, and she was really relieved when I told her that! But she was just great. So I would probably react the same way. Only for a split second when I told her did I see a quick look in her eyes of, "oh shit" after that it was gone and she was just supportive. And everything turned out ok. Me and the guy are married, been together for 8 years, our daughter is getting ready to turn 7 in Dec and we're trying for #2!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't know what I would say...I know when my 16 year old sister in law came to me 5 months ago with this info, I just held her and cried. After we regained composure I scheduled a doctors appointment, and I went over with her what questions her mom was probably going to have, and figured out some answers. I was also a teen mom and my parents didn't react well at first, I wanted to show her support, at the same time help her to present it to her parents in a mature manner. I told my parents over the phone in the middle of the night...no wonder they took it so hard. Anyway, i hope if any of my 3 girls come to me with this info I can just hold them and cry too. And then tell them it will all be ok.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 11:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• well, seeing as i am a 15 year old mom.. i couldnt be mad at my daughter, and i probably wouldnt. i know how it is, and a true blessing would for sure come from it =]
    AlyssasMommy31

Answer by AlyssasMommy31 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I cant be hypocrytical. I had a baby at 17. My mom initially reacted very harsh and wanted me to have an abortion. She regrets ever even having those thoughts now. She got used to the idea the bigger I got and her and my daughter are very close. I think she was worried I wouldnt make a good mom because of my age. She was impressed I took right to it though.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Hmm, we would make an appointment with her doctor to get everything verified and take her fiance with us because he is part of this. Once its verified we would need to sit down with his parents and all talk about what we are doing next. They are already engaged...move the wedding date up not? Lots of decisions.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 1:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2008