If your 3 or 4 year old is in a daycare center...

does it have a pre-k class? Is he or she required to be in it to stay? I had to pull my son out of daycare because he won't be going to their pre-k class and they wouldn't let him stay. He'll be going to Head Start instead, but it's only for half days. I was curious if they are generally all like that.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is how most centers are run, like a preschool program. There is a limited amount of free play time, and a required rest time period. Yes, if they are there, they are expected to follow the schedule of the day. If you want a more relaxed atmosphere with a less rigid schedule, then try a licensed child care program. You can check with your child care resource and referral about which providers offer a semi-structured day or if you are looking for something that isn't do preschool activities, they will give you that information too. They can tell you about a licensed providers experience, education and if they have any violations. Then ask for references. Home daycares are wonderful programs. They aren't all abusing children like the media wants you to think they are.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• There isn't really a difference beteween child care for a preschool aged child and a child care program that offers a pre-k class. Early care and education standards are the same whether a program calls itself a preschool or a child care center, in fact, they are licensed the same way.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• UpSheRises, in our state preschool and child care centers are licensed differently. Then again so is Headstart licensed differently. Each state has different criteria and program/staff requirements. Some preschools don't even need to be licensed in my state, but centers do. It would be nice if they all had to be licensed.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wish you luck with your little one and hope that the speech therapy is successful.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I did not have that experience with Head Start. My son was labelled gifted by the teacher and no one but me knows he was even in Head Start...the school doesn't even know. And no one came to my home.

Yes, you should be able to find a half day day care.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i know i tryed day care i know the one i go to take toddlers till they are 4 then they requar you to take them to early childhood or preschool on of those the way i see it as long as they are learning and someone is watching them it shouldn't really matter were they go i know some places are more strit then others.
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Thank you Lifes-A-Dance. I'm actually fine with him having a curriculuum, it's really what I want, but they won't let him stay because he'll be going into HS instead of their pre-k. But since it's only half days, I have to find a daycare that will accept him and yeah realizing that a home daycare may be our only option, if any will even accept him based on his HS schedule (he's half days 11:45-3:15 so I would need him in morning and then afternoon--but he's on the waiting list to get into the am classes, so hopefully he will and that problem is solved, LOL).
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• While Headstart is free, it comes with its drawbacks. They look for children that are special needs and come from low income families. If your child doesn't have both of those, they are persistent to find something about your child so they can say they have special needs. They get more money from the government for their program that way. I've worked for Headstart and I would strongly discourage any parent from having their child in that program. Your entire family is under the watchful eye of their staff to see if they can come up with a problem so their program can get more money. Also, they come to your house to "work with your child". Then the paper work they create for your child follows them through school. Children are easily labeled. I would strongly encourage you to have your child in a different preschool program. A 3 year old that doesn't sit quietly in circle time is quickly labeled ADHD. Be careful!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• That has been my experience with my kids and Headstart too. The staff thinks they need to teach you "parenting skills". They visited our home and worked with our kids. Just because we income qualified doesn't make me less qualified to be a parent. The kids had fun there, but if I were to do it again, I'd go to a preschool. After I did some checking I found out I could get daycare assistance to help pay for some preschool programs. Hind sight is 20-20 I guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• He got into Head Start because he has speech delays and he sees a speech therapist. He graduated from Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) when he turned 3 and their recommendation was for him to continue his speech therapy in HS. He was seeing a speech therapist at his daycare once a week, but of course he doesn't get that now anymore since I have no where to send him at the moment. He will get it again in HS.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010