Is it bad if my son doesnt crawl?

He's 6months and he's already wandering around in a walker is always trying to stand. but when i put him on his stomach so he can learn to crawl he hates it. Is it bad if he never learns how to crawl?

karlojs

Asked by karlojs at 2:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies walk before they crawl. There is nothing wrong with it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• He will. He's fine. My children were older than him when they learned to crawl. They developed fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No. Sometimes babies go right from wriggling to standing to walking. We are all different!
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No, he's fine.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 3:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• He is very young to crawl. Once he can sit unassisted you will put him down more. Then he will crawl. Don't worry. All my kids hated being on their tummies and they all crawled.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Even if he doesn't like it, he still needs plenty of tummy time. While it is ok if he chooses not to crawl, not crawling because you don't put him on his tummy is not ok. Kids learn so many different physical things from tummy time.\
    My husband and his mother never crawled and they are both the clumsiest people I have ever met.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think tummy time is a load of crap. My kids didn't like it, so I never put them on their tummies. They are extremely athletic. The stars of all their teams. They crawled and walked on time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Some kids crawl, some kids scoot, some just get up and walk.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Actually, it's better for brain development if they crawl (or creep, or do some sorty of cross-body motion). I won't get too techical with the biology of it, but it helps the brain form certain synapses. It's not the end of the world if they don't crawl, but I do what I can to help my children learn because it's very helpful to how they learn. It's something I learned when I had a child with a serious movement disorder.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Hes perfectly fine. The average age is 9 months for crawling so its still early. And some kids never crawl and thats fine too. And just a little bit of info. Walkers are not recommended by the AAP. they can cause toe walking and delay the walking process. Offer him plenty of floor time and he will get it :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010