How do I teach Spanish?

To a 3 year old. I am starting with numbers but when I say it in English and then in Spanish, she looks at me like I've just grown a 4th head.

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children learn second languages the same way they learned thier first one, by hearing the language spoken. Teaching the words for numbers by counting or telling her the words is confusing because it has no context. Kids aren't parrots, KWIM? If you want her to learn number word then use them instead of english in regular situations.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The Muzzy series is great - expensive but great - check out your library and see if they have it.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 3:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• LOL. Just keep doing what you are doing and then eventually they will get it, I speak Spanish at home anyway so my daughter only knows Spanish. But she is much younger she is only 20 months, so not too much talking yet lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We make learning into games or songs. We have a 2-story house and when we go down the stairs at bedtime or naptime, we count each stair. Some days we do it in English, others in Spanish. Sometimes we even do the alphabet. I think at that age, the best way to learn is to make it fun :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 3:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010