How can I get my son to stop crying for me even when I am still in the same room?

My son is freaking out he is 18 months old and he always and I mean always wants to be around me. He tells everyone no that isn't me. When he is being held by someone else and I am sitting next to that person he just cries and cries and says mom mom mom. He wants me to pick him up. He acts like I am leaving him and I am sitting right next to him. He does this tired or not. And its getting annoying. I thought toddlers are suppose to get independent, well not my child. What can I do to get him not to do this anymore.

teddybear3163

Asked by teddybear3163 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will grow out of it. Really, it seems right now that he will NEVER, but he will! You will probably want to cry the first time he goes to someone else! I do when mine (2 years) goes to step daddy.
    Amber211

Answer by Amber211 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Are you a stay at home mom or in daycare?

Actually this is the age they can go through separation anxiety?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yeah, my son has been doing this since he was 13 months old. It seems like forever. And I just dont know what to do anymore. Its getting really annoying and seems to be getting on my last nerve.
    teddybear3163

Comment by teddybear3163 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I work full time, and so he is at his godmom's house when I am at work. But he will go to her no problem, same with my mom no problem but anyone else he freaks out. What I don't understand is that I am in the room, most of the time touching him in some way and he still freaks out when anyone tries to talk to him or even hold him or anything.
    teddybear3163

Comment by teddybear3163 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• DD often cries when I drop her off at day care... from what they've told me (and she's shown me by calling me) she's just putting on a show for mom, and she's usually stopped crying and is playing happily by the time I get to my car.

Also, when I've come to pick her up (most days dad picks her up), I'll sneak in, and watch her first. She'll be playing PERFECTLY happy, giggling and all... until she sees me... then she'll sometimes act like it's SO horrible and she's been crying ALL day.

I don't know why kids have to make mom feel bad. I'm guessing she does it because I'll give her extra attention.

I'd say leave him in a room with someone there playing with him, and have the person report how he's doing while you're gone. He could just be putting on a show because you're around, or he could just be at the age where he's more clingy. Either way, he'll probably grow out of it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't know why he is doing this. I guees I would ignore the behavior and only pay ateention to him when he's not freaking out.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Most LOs freak out MORE if their mom is in the room. Usually they'll only go to others when mom's been out of sight for a few minutes.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 3:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Oh my God, I thought it was seriously just my daughter or something lol...she's 12 mos and just started this probably 2 weeks ago. It doesn't happen through the whole day, but it seems when I need to start dinner, doing chores or on the computer that it's the worse. I'm a stay at home mom and thinking I may need to get out of the house more or something.
    Samie8183

Answer by Samie8183 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 12, 2010