Do you agree with NY gov David Paterson?

ALBANY, N.Y. – New York Gov. David Paterson offered state help Tuesday if the developers of a proposed mosque near the site of the Sept. 11 attacks agree to move the project farther from the site.

Paterson, a Democrat, said that he doesn't oppose the project as planned but indicated that he understands where opponents are coming from. He said he was willing to intervene to seek other suitable state property if the developers agreed.

"I think it's rather clear that building a center there meets all the requirements, but it does seem to ignite an immense amount of anxiety among the citizens of New York and people everywhere, and I think not without cause," Paterson said in a news conference in Manhattan.

"I am very sensitive to the desire of those who are adamant against it to see something else worked out," Paterson said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL sweet, really I think he is such an idiot I hate him so much even Delilah says eww when he's on TV. I change it first thing. Come on the man wanted to take almost all funding out of NY schools when they are already going down hill. He wanted to take away from specail needs programs, etc etc I really dislike him and would dislike just about everything that comes out of his mouth. And it is not for any other reason than he wants to take from kids and sepcail needs people.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nope. They need to build it there so all the haters can see wrong and stupid they are.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It can't hurt to to try and work things out a bit. As long as he doesn't try to legally force them to move it, I'm all for a solution that would make all parties happy.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Does New York even have any money to give?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I dont care for that man most of the time but I think he makes good sense here. How great would it be if the Muslim community came together and said we understand how this is a sore point for many and in our understanding and sympathy will change this location. THAT would be awesome. As it is they remain so very silent on the issue of Muslim extremists and thats wrong! JUST LIKE its wrong for the leaders of the Catholic church to remain silent on the pedophile priests. I think this COULD be a good thing. A unifying thing. but thats JMO :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think it is fair to punish ALL muslims because of the act of a few. If it had been Christians that planned and carried out the attacks, we we demand that the Catholic church across the street be closed down? Would we support vandalism?

NYC is a HUGE cultural center on the east coast, and I do not have any issues with the Muslims having a place of worship built.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think compromise is in order. This is a very sensitive site and regardless of who was invovled they shouldn't be building there simply out of compassion to those who lost their loved ones. NY should work with them to find another suitable location and try to keep both sides happy.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Don't live there, so I don't care what they build, or where they build it... Sorry
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me, as far as I can see. I didn't read the link, just the bit that was in the OP.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nope he should help any way.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010