I have about had it....... What do you say?

State Department officials on Monday confirmed Feisal Abdul Rauf, the Imam of the so-called Ground Zero Mosque, will soon be going on a trip of the Middle East and the U.S. government will be picking up the tab.The planned construction of a mosque near Ground Zero in New York City has set off a contentious national debate over religious freedom in the U.S., drawing impassioned opposition from some families of 9/11 victims.

Rauf has emerged as a controversial figure because of his refusal to acknowledge Hamas as a terrorist organization, which is how the U.S. government classifies the group. The imam also has been quoted as saying U.S. foreign policy was in part responsible for the 9/11 attacks.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why just a Mosque? Why not have a universal unit representing all religions? Kind of alike the U.S. A big melting pot. This is crazy. Or why even have anything at all? Its just one more thing for everyone to fight about. No one will be happy no matter what is done. Aren't there bigger worries this country has right now that are actually of importance and real?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't really know about all this, but I just leave it to the professionals. I hate politics!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• the U.S. government will be picking up the tab.---

OF COURSE THEY WILL! then they'll pass it on down to us, the taxpayers.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Do you have a link?

Why are we paying?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Why just a Mosque? Why not have a universal unit representing all religions?
    ______________________________

It's an Islamic Community Center so it makes sence that it would include a mosque.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Why are we paying?

***
    Really, you need to ask, "why?!" LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Whats the purpose? link?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sorry, I couldn't fit it all in. OF course it's got to be this way because we have to go out and be NICE and show the muslims we want to be friends

“He is a distinguished Muslim cleric,” said State Department Spokesman P.J. Crowley. “We do have a program whereby, through our Educational and Cultural Affairs Bureau here at the State Department, we send people from Muslim communities here in this country around the world to help people overseas understand our society and the role of religion within our society.”
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Really, you need to ask, "why?!" LOL
    ___________________

I am not sure what is so funny, did i miss something inthe post?

Do we usually pay for his vacations? I wasn't aware that the state department randomly paid for over sees trips for non state department officials.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• is there a link for me?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2010