How do you teach inside/outside voices?

I am trying to each my daughter inside/outside voices and she is not getting it, any suggestions?

babsbny

Asked by babsbny at 3:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• whisper your inside and raise your voice slightly when you say outside voice.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Start talking very quietly when inside and very loudly when you play outside. When she is loud inside, whisper so she has to listen carefully and tell her to use her inside voice. When she still talks loud, say in a whisper "That is your outside voice, use your inside voice."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Give her a real life example. Yell at the top of your lungs and say this is your outside voice, then speak in a normal tone and say this is your inside voice. BUT! If your child is only 1 or 2 years old, they aren't going be able to absorb and understand that concept yet. Their cognitive development is moving quickly at this age and frequent reminders will be necessary.

Now on a lighter note, how may times do you have to tell your husband to replace the toilet paper? I finally had to tell mine it doesn't cause brain damage to replace it but that doesn't seem to be working either! Have a great day!!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You start by doing exactly what you want her to do; to show her how to do it.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yo gabba gabba has a fun inside/outside voice song. they sing softly and quietly "inside voice quiet, inside voice, ssshhhhhh" then "OUTSIDE VOICE! BIG AND LOUD!" lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes! And I agree with first poster, I always whisper when I say "use your inside voice"
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 5:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010