still has accidents while wearing underpants

My son does great when he's bare bottom. He helps himself to the bathroom when he has to go. We are still working on pooping in the potty, but other than that he does great. When he wears underpants he will go in them. On rare occasions he realizes he had a pee accident (in underpants/trainers) and gets upset. If he poops while wearing underpants/trainers he let's us know right away. I'd love some advice to teach him underpants are NOT diapers. I am trying to teach him how to undress but it is a slow process. I try to tell him the character on his underpants doesnt want to get wet...

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• How old is he? Maybe he's too young to understand? Is he 3 yet?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• he is 27 months old. He has been learning for a couple of months now. I know he is young since the average age for boys is older, but he is ready. This has been a child-led process the entire time so I'm not going to force him to wear diapers again after all the accomplishments, just because of this current dilemma.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If he's still going in his underwear, then it doesn't really sound to me like he's ready. I would put him back in diapers for another couple months and try again later.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• it's not all the time.... I dont want to stop out of nowhere because he has occasional accidents in his underpants, i'm looking for some tips how to encourage him not to.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010