Carseat safety people - I need your help!

Is a 3 point harness on a newborn carseat okay? is it safe?
The travel system I got came with a carseat, rear facing from newborn to 15 months it says - but it's only a 3 point harness instead of a 5 point harness - is this okay?? Or should I get a different one with a 5 point harness??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it says it's designed for newborn to 15 mos, it should be fine dear. Look up reviews for the carseat and see what they say. If you don't feel comfortable using it, get a different one, but I'm sure it'd be fine.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would NEVER use a car seat with a three point harness. It's definately not as safe, even if it meets the minimum standards.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• From consumer reports:

Most infant, convertible, and toddler seats have a built-in adjustable five-point harness system, with two straps over the shoulders, two for the thighs, and a crotch strap. A five-point harness system is more secure than a three-point system, with two shoulder straps that come together at a buckle in the shell or a crotch strap. The extra straps spread the forces of a crash more evenly across a child's body. The thigh and crotch straps also help prevent 'submarining', or sliding out of the harness in a crash (as is possible with a three-point harness).
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We chose to go 5 point harness all three times.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 5:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nope. I havent even seen a 3 point system offered in a while? Is it expired? Most seats expire 6 years from the manufacturers date listed on the seat. If it is expired it should not be used. I wouldnt even think of using it! Not safe in my opinion :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010