I have a 2 1/2 year old and she is really out of controll. I need help. She is always throwing a tatrom and I don't know what to do about it. my grand parents spoil her and every time i tell her no, she starts thowing things or biting me and I really dont know what to do. I have tried everything exept spanking and now i'm so confussed.

Cheryllynne23

Asked by Cheryllynne23 at 11:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first have a talk with the spoilers then when she starts to throw a tantrum pick her up and put her in her crib tell her when she calms down you will come get her. walk out when she is calm go get her and tell her no more tantrums she needs to use her words. if she bites hold her at eye level and say no very sternly and put her in the crib for a time out. tell her" you will not bite!" be very consistant and in a few days you should see a change.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:21 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Wow, I'm impressed by your answer Lyndall! Sounds like very good advise :) My only concern is that I've always been told you shouldn't use the crib as a form of punishment because that causes problems with sleep time... I've never tried it so I can't say whether that's true or not but I can see where it could be. Maybe try a playpen instead...
    mommy2hallie07

Answer by mommy2hallie07 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well my only concern is her being 2 1/2 She probally can climb out just like my daughter she is 2 and shes a climbing machine and opens dorrs so then what are we suppose to do...I tell you i believe a little good wiping sometimes nothing to the extreme but for god sacks they got a diaper on and they need to no when your serious! And right now the time outs are not working for me she gets right up and what not..maybe your answers will give me some better ways of dealing with my daughter to..LOL
    susanwluvs0826

Answer by susanwluvs0826 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I agree with the first answer except for the crib. I've read to use a playpen or a time out spot. If necessary, drag them back to the timeout spot - over and over - until they calm down. Other than dragging them back, you ignore them until they are calm.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would not spank, it's just going to make her think to get what she want's she should hit people. I wouldn't use the crib either, it's going to create a negative feeling about her bed and you don't want that. i watch a lot of super nanny and the things on there work really well for me. When shestarts put her in the corner for 2 min. If she gets up, pick her up with out saying anything and put her back and start the 2 min all over again. It may take a long time and a lot of patience but eventually she will break, and stay there. I saw one episode where it took like 2 hours of this the first time the lady tried it, but after that it started working better and better each time, and her kids were AWFUL! So good luck, I hope you can find som peace, and I would recomend checking out that shoe. Some of the best parenting advice I've ever gotten has come from that show.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• From a mag I read last night:

10- things to do when your kid throws a fit

1) Ignore the kid.
    2) Give your child some space.
    3) Create a diversion (snack, toy, book, etc)
    4) Find out what is really frustrating your kid.
    5) Hugs!
    6) Offer food or suggest a little R&R
    7) Give your kid incentive to behave (before they are expected to, not during)
    8) Speak calmly.
    9) Laugh it off (not laughing, just remaining calm and don't get angry)
    10) Get out of there (pick him up and leave)
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Now that I said that, I would like to say that I have had 5 kids and they do not throw tantrums. I ignore them and do not let them know that it bothers me. I walk away and do what ever I need to. BTW, NEVER NEVER NEVER give in to what they want during a tantrum. If they ask for candy at the store and you say no, then get them the candy, they will throw a fit next time even longer because they know you will break down and give them the candy.
    Amber115

• I had one at my daycare who was a tantrum thrower. His parents were SO beside themselves. I asked them what they wanted me to do to handle this and they had no clues. So, with their permission, I started just letting him throw himself on the floor and kick and scream and I calmly got up and went to the sink and got about a half of a small cup (maybe 1/2 a cup) of cold water and tossed the water (not the cup) in his face. This does NOT hurt them, but it startles them and makes them catch their breath. Of course the first couple times I did it, it just made him madder, but after a couple times, all I had to do was get up and walk toward the sink and he'd stop on the spot. It really didn't take much to break his habit. Good luck!
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 3:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008