Attitude from 10 yo

He's getting better because he's starting to recognize when he does it, but I've gotten such an attitude from him this summer. He rarely smarts off to Dh, but almost always to me. Perhaps it's because I've always been the disciplinarian.

Any thoughts to help me curb the 'tude before it gets way out of hand?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 3:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yup - consequences. I like the "yucky, extra chores" idea!! I think I will use that one :) I also take away the video games. If it continues, the Bakugan are next. I read one parent who took away EVERYTHING from their 15 year old except clean sheets and 5 books. He had to stay in his room for a certain amount of time. Luke is usually a respectful 10 year old boy, but once in a while his mouth will get him into trouble and he'll get stuff taken away for a while. His dad usually goes overboard (he told him he was grounded from the video games this whole week....um really? he's not THAT bad!) but we make sure to curb it NOW and not let him get away with talking back even once!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 3:08 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• Consequences... I he wants to have an attitude then make him scrub trashcans, toilets, all the yucky jobs you do and he doesn't have to normally. Extra chores usually work the attitude out of our boys...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Here is where I start. If Simon responds to me with "attitute" I stop. I look at him and say

Me: "Excuse me?" "Who am I?"
    Simon: Mom
    Me: IS that the correct way to speak to me?
    Simon: No
    Me: Let's try that again

and I will reask the question or request and he will immediately correct his response

Now, all I have to do is look at him and he immediately corrects his tone and responses
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If*
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010