5th graders!!!

What should I expect this year????

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 3:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in

• Bigger projects, better field trips, higher expectations for maturity and social responsibility from school leaders. It was a great experience for Katiana, and I watched her grow a lot that year. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 4:13 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• When my DS started 5th grade, he had more homework, and more essay-type lessons to complete. They also had "the talk" in health class.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am also anxious as my son is starting 5th grade too. I hear is teacher really has her students ready for middle school so I imagine it is going to be a lot more work.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If 5th grade is the last year of elementary school, expect the teachers to try to get them ready for middle school / jr. high, whatever it's called where you live. There will be essay writing, research reports, long division, fractions, decimal to fraction and back to decimals, US history (at least when I taught 5th grade 2 years ago), the health talk "Our Changing Bodies" or some version of that, physical fitness tests, etc . .

Also, a focus should be on personal responsibility. It's their job to turn in homework and return notes to school, not Mommy's job. It's their job to be organized, not Mommy's. Etc . . . My girl is starting 5th grade next week, but since I've already taught 5th grade, I think we're going to be OK.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:10 PM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My son's 5th grade year was great. There were many more hands-on projects and the teacher had them in separate reading groups. My son read The Grapes of Wrath and Frankenstein which I thought was awesome for 10-11 yr. olds.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:52 AM on Aug. 12, 2010