Hight and weight for a buster seat

What is the recomended hight and weight to be in a booster without the back support?

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 3:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The legal end of it varies by state... But each seat will have it's own numbers.

Most states just have ages, check to see if your state has Ht/Wt requirements...

http://www.elitecarseats.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=car_seat_laws

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you for posting that site Sabrina! I knew mine, but it was nice to double check :)
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Age actually doesn't matter in this case. You can use a backless booster when the child has a head support behind their head from the vehicle seat. If their is none you must use a highback booster. Assuming of course the child is at least 4 and weighs at least 40 pounds.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 5:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• most states is 4 and 40.personally my kids wont be in a booster till they are six. my dd is 3 1/2 and rf and also ds 18 mts. both my choice
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Depends on your state. My state has no laws on the books when they can go into a booster...only law is they can come out of the booster at 7 years or 4'9.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with piwife, My son is 4 1/2 and is still harnessed it will be a long time before he uses his seat in booster mode never mind a backless booster. But that is my personal choice. Being in a regular booster also requires a lot of maturity from the child so that they are not moving around a lot and reaching for things as well as a bunch of other things. I wish I could find the post that talks about this.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:36 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Here is some more info I found from car seat safety.org to see if a child is ready for a backless booster:

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
    5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010