How much support do you show (if any) for your children to be involved with your ex husband's family while they are with you?

marchar2002

Asked by marchar2002 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Like aunts, uncles,cousins and grandparents?
    you may not be their family anymore but your kids are. Think of it this way, if your kids lived with your Ex would you want him to cut YOUR family out of the kids' lives?
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's not my job to keep them involved with my ex's family. That's his job. I have sole custody so he has a schedule to go by, what he does during that time is his and I stay out of it....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My EX's family have never been involved with my kids. They live in the same town as us and we see them sometimes. They always say they want to see the kids, but have never called. Pretty sad if you ask me! I used to try, but why set them up for heartache!
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I always encouraged contact with my dd's fathers side. I invited them to birthdays etc. I asked them to babysit when I worked. There were even times that they would invite me to play cards and visit with dd. It was funny because I liked his family it was just that my ex and I didn't get along back then. DD is going to be 20 and now we get along. He is remarried and has two younger kids and they would come to my house to play and stay overnight sometimes. But I always wanted my daughter to have as much family as she could and that meant his family too. Which is probably why we can all get along now.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids were older when we divorced but I completely supported the in-laws, my DH's family and they were always totally involved with my childrens' lives. They were good people and supported me,too. We all got along so well.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• DS1 is great friends with his cousins (xSIL's kids)... they live 2 doors down from me and they come up here all the time... Now, DS1 has no contact with his father (xh's choice, I guess) or his grandpa on that side... but like I said, my xsil is my friend, and my nieces and nephew will never stop being family.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I should also add that my ex has requested to give up his rights. ;) My DH is adopting them and the kids are thrilled!
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Anytime one of my ex husbands family members calls to talk to or to see my son, I let them...as long as we don't already have plans or something. Its not big deal to me..I didnt have a problem with any of them..it was the ex husband I couldnt stand,lol. Just this past couple weekends ago, my ex husbands brother (sons uncle) came and picked my son up to take him to see drag races and my son stayed the night over there. I'm glad that they still want to be a part of my sons life, its means a lot to me...but more imprtant..it means a lot to my son.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I used to keep them involved but, they have been causing a lot of problems so, the contact has come to a screeching halt.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Its important for my son to be close with that side of his family if possible. I dont do a lot of things with them, but if there is something special going on I invite them. And I try to give my ex MIL some nights with him to make sure she is getting that kind of special one on one time with Ben. I know she is there a lot on the days my ex has our son, but I dont think she gets overnight stays.
    kimbob2284

Answer by kimbob2284 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010