Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If a pediatrician does hearing tests in the office is as good a test as done by an audiologist or whatever?

My co-pay for regular doctors is $30 but $60 for specialists.


Asked by fairyinabubble at 3:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Health

Level 17 (4,643 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • It is definitely NOT the same; the audiologist's testing is so much more thorough and comprehensive. In addition, the audiologist can also determine how the hearing is processed/if there's an auditory processing disorder, not just if you have the ability to hear.

    Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

  • I have wondered this also.

    Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 3:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • I think that the pediatrician's test is more of a screening (not quite as intense with different frequencies/etc.) to see if a specialist is necessary. I would go to the pedi's first, then to a specialist later if there was something indicated.

    Answer by Scuba at 3:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • Not if you are concerned about your child's hearing. If you think there might be a problem, go to a specialist. I would assume that if your pediatrician was concerned, he would refer you to a specialist. But, no, I do not think hearing tests and eye tests, for that matter, are as good as the tests done by a specialist. Pediatricians basically know a little about a lot of stuff, but a specialist knows a lot about that one specialty.

    Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • No. The equipment is much different and much more specialized when you go through an audiologist. The pediatritian doesn't do a hearing test, they do a hearing screening. Very different.

    Answer by lifetimelove at 3:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • ECI recommended I get him a hearing test just to rule out any problems. So the pedi first would be OK?

    Comment by fairyinabubble (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • No it is not the same unless they have the equipment necessary.

    If your child is suspected of hearing problems then you must follow up with a specialist further testing might include ABR Hearing test.

    Answer by Honestbest at 3:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • Check your insurance, you may need to go to your reg. pedi first so that he can refer you to a specialist. Usually you can get in to see a specialist sooner if your reg. dr.'s office makes the appointment. (that has been my experience)

    Answer by CaLizzyMom at 6:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

  • not sure

    Answer by san78 at 7:15 AM on Aug. 11, 2010