21/2 yr old with horrible tantrums some advice

My 2 1/2 yr old who will be 3 The end of Sept. has horrible tantrums and hits. We were giving him timeouts and that worked for a few months but now he thinks they are funny. We are at a loss for what to do. We have tried talking to him and explain that hitting isn't nice and it hurts and so on. we have tried taking his toys away removing him for the situation all those sorts of things. any advice would be great. i dont know if he is jealous of his 9 month old brother but we have even tried spending time with just him, and doesnt seem to help at all

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when he throws a tantrum walk away from him if you are home and totally ignore it. Thats what I do it when my son throws one. May I add he is 2 1/2 and has had maybe a handfull. The more you ignore it the less likely he will do it.

how is his language? can he communicate verbally?
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• his language is awesome he talks better than alot of kids i've heard his age he can go on for a long time telling a story that you can completely understand
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i'd just spank him, but hey, that's me. works great with my kids
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• so does my son. i have always told him to use his words instead of a fit. like i said i have always walked away during his fits and they are done in seconds. usually tantrums happen because they cant verbalize what they want or if they arent getting what they want. I have found the latter actions have limited his tantrums immensely
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We spanked our children for such behavior and it worked great. Painful consequences equals changed behavior.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• spanking does not work at all with him when my husband is done spanking him (only a few times) he gets up and hits his dad again and then thinks its funny
    malibu79

Comment by malibu79 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yea...I think spanking works with some kids but i find it isn't often...it teaches them that hitting is ok..my son actually thinks it's funny...ug
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• oh wow. he hits his dad? except for play fighting/wrestling with him, my dh would NOT tolerate that. talk firmly to him, tell him NO it's not nice to hit, or whatever he does. then put him in his room with NO toys, or anything he can play with. let that be his time out. as for tantrums, it depends on what it is. my ds never really had tantrums, only a couple of them, ONE time was in the store, and it was a quick one, i gave him a good spank on the butt and he stopped, just whined a little. and it wasn't one of those throw himself down type tantrum either, he's never done those. now, dd, who just turned 2 last week, does the tantrums. she'll sit on the floor, look back and slowly (so not to bump her head) lay down, then start the screaming. thankfully she doesn't do the kicking or throwing. she has ONLY done this at home, never in public. in public she's an angel. at home i just ignore it. if it's too bad, put him n his room
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I never ignored fussy periods in my kids. They didn't hit, thank goodness,but they KNEW that I would not allow their moods or meaness. I can honestly say that my kids didn't scream but they had their moods. If you ignore moods and tantrums the kids don't get the message that it IS NOT OKAY! They need to know they are doing something wrong and that it won't be tolerated. They had to stay in their room, had to NOT play, no TV , and if it was in public, we just left and I lectured them all the way out the door. They did have good attention soans and learned quickly, needed to please.
    I don't know why some kids just don't seem to care and scream their lungs out no matter how much they hear that theyshouldn't. . It is a mystery. It might be a neurological problem. See a Pediatrician,maybe?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Although I ignore the tantrum I tell him I don't like it and he needs to use his words instead. Then I say that he can tell me when he is done and I ignore it or leave the room. So I do tell him its inapropriate but I dont yell and I just simply state that and then ignore
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010