If you are anti-big government and anti-regulation, do you support car seat laws?

It seems like being politically conservative means opposing safety regulations that could potentially "stifle innovation" or reduce corporate profitability and therefore hurt the economy. It also seems to mean not wanting the government to tell you what to do with your own kids. How can you reconcile these ideas? Do you assume that if your kids is hurt or injured, you'll sue someone (or is that also too liberal)? Is safety just something that is supposed to develop naturally in the free market?

barefootbooks

Asked by barefootbooks at 3:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Plus, we know we can't count on corporation to do the "safe" thing, generally, they do the "cost-effective" thing.

***
    PERFECT example....BP!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Honestly, NO, I don't. I don't thing there should be laws which govern how I care for my family. I don't support seatbelt laws either.

Do I think you should put your kids in a carseat? YES. Do I think you should teach them about car safety and seat belts? YES!
    BUT, do I think the government should have the right to regulate what I do or how I protect my family in my own car? NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Can o'worms OP. I'm neither of the things you mentioned, but I will tell you this-I think we HAVE regulated ourselves out of common sense and logic. In terms of parenting, there is no by the book method for raising children safely and responsibly; no guaranteed outcomes. The car seat folks have gone too far. Some mms are now ERF until school aged-Have you seen the photos with kids contorted in the knees-chest position-?can be neither comfortable or safe. I see lots of folks have lost their good sense, reasoning and logic and the car seat arena is a prime example.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I'll admit I'm torn. I think there's a balance between the government over regulating, and protecting those who can't protect themselves. And I definately lean towards the libertarian side of conservationist.

I don't like the mentality that the government has to protect "the people" because people are lacking in common sense. It's that idea that gives us the nanny state in the first place. I believe that people have common sense, but they often have to be educated because you kind of need to "activate" that common sense, so to speak. Laws have a way of doing that, but I think there are better methods than making laws.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Somethings HAVE to be regulated because some people are lacking in the common sense department. SOme people just don't have the sense to put their child in a car seat and some businesses don't have the common sense to make a SAFE car seat. The same goes for car makers, fire alarm makers, shampoo makers....
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

***

clapping

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If car seats laws were all repealed tomorrow, and we were all left to rely on our common sense as parents, where would you get information about car seats and safety to make your own choices?

***
    How did OUR parents manage, when we were infants/young children?! Car and booster seats weren't a requirement as little as 20ish years ago!! Yet, somehow we all turned out just fine!

In the absence of state/federal car seat laws, if a car/booster seat was available at the time my children were born less than 9 years ago, I would have bought them! But that's just me, and having been a Paramedic in Boston for 8 years, I saw first hand what happens to children when their parents did not properly restrain them in their vehicles.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I support carseats because it could save my children life not because he government tells me to, even if the law didn't require it I would still do it. Just like matthewsscandi said some people lack common sense so things need to be regulated of innocent people suffer.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Wow. I am not sure if you could have asked that question more condescending. Or have asked it with as little of a clue as to the silly generalization you are making. Could you be more specific about what you mean here....

safety regulations that could potentially "stifle innovation" or reduce corporate profitability and therefore hurt the economy.

As for seat belts I buckle my children and my self everytime  I am in the car. My dh does not. He had an uncle that would have survived a car accident if it weren't for the seatbelt and refuses to wear them.  It doesnt matter tho. The law in our state is that you have to be 15 to ride in the front seat. Because of the idiots who put babies up there with aribags. I still see kids in the front all the time and kids without seatbelts. And the fine is crazy high!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I should say my hubby doesnt buckle himself. He DOES buckle the kids.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010