Should elementary age boys be allowed to go into a girl's bathroom?

In California, just signed a law that states that elementary age transgendered boys are now allowed to go into the girl's bathroom. In Maine there was a fifth grade transgendered boy that was given a girls bathroom! However when another boy decided to use a girl's bathroom he was suspended. Should elementary age boys be allowed to go into a girl's bathroom?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• well, I would first want to know how they determine a child that age to be transgendered
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• wow, This question went a totally different direction than I thought it was going...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I too would like to know how a 10 year old is considered transgendered. hmmm.
    But no...I don't think elementary school boys should be allowed in girls bathrooms..thats just insane,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Was it a one person girl's bathroom? If the doors lock and a boy had to go and there was no available boys bathroom, then yes, he should be able to use it. If it's one with many stalls, then no.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Um no! You got boy parts, you go to the boys restroom. Transgendered should only be recognized AFTER surgery not when a child lacking attention decides he wants to be a girl. I would remove my children from that school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If they are transgender then yes, they belong in the proper bathroom... Why do we separate the genders in the first place? Because people sexualize the bathroom. If we are going to go as far as to say a boy can't be in the girls room simply because he is a boy and she is a girl and they shouldn't be permitted to see one another in undress (or phases of) because of the sexual content in that matter then why would it be okay for a transgender boy to be in the boys room? Really it's a lose lose situation. Someone is put out in this situation... Why should it have to be the child who is already uncomfortable in their own body?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with peanuts.
    No I don't think a transgenders boy should be in a girls restroom nor a boys. They should have separate restrooms. Like a family restroom or something like that. I remember my elementary had a restroom for the special ed children so the teachers were allowed to go in there with them if they needed help and they had both toilets and urinals in it. I think at elementary age some children are confused about what transgenders is and it may make all the kids uncomfortable to have a boy in a girls bathroom or a girl in the boys bathroom.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If they are transgendered they should go the bathroom of the sex they idenfity with.

Looking forward to all the hysterics that this post will generate...
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have never in my life seen a reason for separate bathrooms... Do you have a boys room and a girls room at home? If they are in the stalls like they should be, I don't know what the big deal is. Our mall actually has 3 bathrooms, male, female and gender neutral... If this is really a big issue, put in a third option or have the transgendered kids use the nurses bathroom... But really, I just don't get it... Is it really that big of a deal if we have gender specific bathrooms or not?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Actually there is something that states that we shouldnt even try to catergorize people as boys and girls until they are 7 or 8 years old.
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010