Bread Baking

Is it worth it to bake your own bread considering the time and cost? I found a bread bowl recipe, but my husband said it's all around better to just buy them (excluding the great bread baking aroma, of course)! Thoughts? Recipes? Thanks!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you've got the time.... it tastes SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better (assuming you've got a good recipe and are able to actually do it)
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 4:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's hard the first few time but once you get the hang of it it's great and delicious! I only make bread when I make soup or stew or somthing like that. I tend to buy bread just for sandwiches. We also make soft pretzels and biscuits from scratch. I have a really simple beer bread if you are interested in an easy start. Yeast make's it a little harder to get 'right'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I love baking bread. I prefer it over the processed bread at stores. you know what you are putting in it! sure it might take some time out of your day but it is worth it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yeast bread take the most time. Not all bread use yeast so some can be very quick. It is well worth it though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Really it's not that expensive - maybe the first time if you don't have flour, yeast, eggs, etc, but it's not like one bag of flour only makes one loaf of bread. Given the price of bread - good bread, it's probably cheaper to make it yourself. As far as the time, my recipe takes about 3 hours from the time I start mixing the dough to when I can be eating a warm piece of buttered bread. And most of that is leaving the dough to rise - I can be doing laundry, dishes, cleaning, playing with my kids, whatever in between kneadings and forming the buns/bread and baking.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think the flavor/texture of homemade bread is better than store bought, in the cooler months I bake it quite often. I think the price is probably equal.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have a bread machine that I let make all my dough. You dont have to let it bake the bread. To me it's SO WORTH it. Espically when your making bread bowels or french bread.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i think if you have the time to bake it its so much better i have 2 sons one 2yr and a 4 month old so yeah i cant really find the time to bake as many stuff as before. i use to love making bread, cup cakes, cakes now idont do it as often but i do try and do it much as posible. i know it can be cheaper to just buy the made one but it doesnt taste the same the smell as you bake it yes worth the extra dollars
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It depends upon the recipe and how ambitious you are to make something you may not find in the store. I have a bread baking machine and I have baked bread in it that I didn't necessarily go out of my way to buy at the grocery store. You can do a combination of both.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• In cooler weather I bake all my own bread. It doesn't have to be as time consuming as you think. Check your library for the following books: No Need to Knead, Kneadlessly Simply, and Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. We all prefer homemade bread!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010