Seat belt laws?

In PA (where I am) our seat belt laws state that:

"All drivers of any kind of motor vehicle must be wearing the provided seat belt. Even if you are over 18, you must wear your seatbelt."
"All passengers under the age of 18, regardless of where they are sitting, must wear a seatbelt."

Doesn't that mean that only the driver and children under 18 are legally required to wear their belt? I'm confused because I thought everyone was legally required to wear one...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Travel

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would think that's what it means! I would just keep the copy of the law with you at all times and whip it out if you ever got pulled over because your over the age 18 passenger fail to have their seat belt on!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• From what it looks like everyone must wear one. Regardless of age.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• All drivers of any kind of motor vehicle must be wearing the provided seat belt. Even if you are over 18, you must wear your seatbelt." That's saying even if you're 18 or over you must wear a seat belt

That's saying people under 18 must wear a seatbelt
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I read it and it means anyone in the front, driver and passengers, regardless of age, must wear a seatbelt. People under 18 must wear a seatbelt, regardless of where you are, in the car. If you are over the age of 18 and sit in the back, I guess you are not required to wear a seatbelt, the way the law is written.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I just went to your link it also states: All front seat passengers in a passenger car, class I or II truck, or motor home must be wearing the manufacturer’s seatbelt, adjusted to the proper fit.

So I guess the law implies that if your over 18 and in the back seat you do not need a seat belt?
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• In Colorado the driver will be ticketed for not being buckled and for children under 18 not being buckled. Anyone over 18 in the car not buckled will receive a ticket themselves.
    Not really relevant, but interesting no the less.

It seems according to your link that all people have to wear a belt.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am all about the seatbelt!
    MrsAJLaw

Answer by MrsAJLaw at 12:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• In Maryland, the driver, the front seat passenger and ALL children must be seat belted in or in approved safety seats.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:59 AM on Aug. 16, 2010

• A seatbelt SAVED my life and a booster seat saved our daughter's life when we were in a roll over accident in 2002. The car was totaled. I spent 4 days in the hospital with a concussion. Our daughter was checked at the ER and sent home - NO INJURIES! I'M ALL FOR SEATBELTS!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:02 AM on Aug. 16, 2010