Need to know best way to potty train my 21 month old?

My Son tells me "pee pee" or '"poo poo" but when we run off to the potty he does nothing but try to wipe his bottom. A few minutes later he will use his diaper. Where am i going wrong or what can I do to help him. Please and thank you -Konnors Mama

konnorsmama

Asked by konnorsmama at 4:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would give it some time he will get there. Have u tryed turning the water on y he is sitting there thats helps my daughter sometimes or I leave the bathroom and act like I have to go check on something and when I go check on her she normally has peed.
    Baileysmom1029

Answer by Baileysmom1029 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• try this have him sit on the potty everyday for 3 minutes every 3 hours from the time he gets up to the time for bed bell
    so if he gets up at 6am put him on the potty for 3 minutes then, again at 9am, and 12noon, at 3pm and at 6pm and right before bed 3 more minutes
    make it 1:1 time read a book play a game of peek a boo
    if he does anything make a big deal of it do the potty dance and go crazy if he does nothing smile stay calm and say "ok we'll try again later" not upset not happy just matter of factly
    and do not get upset with accidents just clean him up and move on
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 5:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• oh yeah he pushes me out of the bathroom (lol) he will say "me pee pee mama me pee pee” as he is closing the door in my face. cute really but when i go to check on him looks like a tornado hit my bathroom. I will try water idea thanks!
    konnorsmama

Comment by konnorsmama (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Get some of those going to the potty books too..........very cute and helpful. Be patient he will get there. Boys can take a little longer at this. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yeah we have one potty book it has the flush sound. we leave it in the bathroom and sit down and read it. my only problem is it seems like he wants to go b/c he lets me know before he does it :( i just feel like im not doing something right. oh and one more question should i teach him to sit down and pee pee 1st or go straight to standing up? thanks everyone for helping :D
    konnorsmama

Comment by konnorsmama (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It takes some time to get from telling you he has to go to being able to "give it up" to the potty. One of my sons wanted to sit on the potty for everything. The other wanted to be like daddy and he stood for pee pee. He did fine. it was really funny how he insisted. If your son doesn't express a preference I felt sitting for both pee and poop was easier. Make sure he holds his hose down though!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010