would it be okay to pop her staph infection?

my whole family has gotten at least one staph infection before and we usually leave it alone until it pops on it's own, but it's very painful. my 2yo dd has a staph infection by her diaper line on her thigh and she's been saying it hurts a lot. i don't want it to grow so big that she needs it to be surgically drained (like a few of mine) but i'm concerned that it might not be the best thing to do. right now we don't have insurance for a doc visit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• the problem would be if you didnt do it well and it inoculated and caused an abscess popping is not bad if you can do it correctly
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 4:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• NO.
    when i had a staff infection i was told not to pop it. Not to mention that they are highly contagious as is.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I personally would not. Sometimes you have to fork up the money and take kids in regardless of financial situations. In this case, I think it's safe to say that taking her in would be the best.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Do not pop it. Warm , moist compresses will help draw it to a head so it can drain. My 23 yr old son gets staph on his arms a lot. They usually have to surgically lance them. He is always put on heavy duty antibiotics. You should take her to the Dr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If it has a head it might be ready to drain out on its own... I would go to the er and have a doc check it out and get on antibiotics since you don't have insurance they have payment plans infection are serious u don't want it to get to bad. Hope she gets better.
    mommyof2_87

Answer by mommyof2_87 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No.. leave it alone & make sure you care for it properly.. be on top of it in kids!!!! PLEASE!!
    ----When my dd was 2 she went to her grandmas house-- NO STAPH!-- After some time on the playground MIL said she was walking a lil' weird.. took her home for a nap, dd woke up in pain.. we just thought she had a cramp in her leg.. but later than night (around 9pm) MIL called again & said she thinks its getting worse & isnt seeming like a cramp..
    We took her to the dr. they thought she broke her hip (WHAT!?).. after xrays we where told to go to Texas Childrens hospital (30min away) and after an emergency surgery & and a 24hr wait My daughter had STAPH IN HER HIP!!!!! In the growing space that only kids have!!! If she would not have went to the hospital she could have lost her leg.. She was in the hospital for 1 week!
    The dr. said it only takes a little cut & a little staph to inter the blood stream & it will setting somewhere..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't pop it. Is there a free clinic you can go to?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No no no -- take her to the doctor. It's not worth her getting sepsis and dying or losing a limb.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Absoultely NOT!!!!!!!!!! You should have been told to NOT pop them. If you pop them, they will spread and others can catch the infection. It may be painful but do NOT pop them. If they are bothering her that much, take her back to the doctor or call the doctor to see what else can be done. Maybe an oatmeal bath?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• She needs to be on antibiotics! Staph is not something to mess around with. They can't deny treatment at the hospital and if you tell them you can't afford a script they have samples just like a drs office.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 5:40 AM on Aug. 11, 2010