Do you think kids REALLY need 12 weeks off for Summer vacation?

Isn't that a bit excessive? They tend to forget stuff over the break that has to be re-taught.Keeping them amused that long gets to be a headache! I wish they had like a 6 week on,2 week off year-round schedule.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in

• i would love for my kids to be in school more days or have a year round school year. by the end of the 1st month they are fighting none stop and i need a break. and i think they would be better off if they spent more days in school.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• well not ALL of 12 weeks, i would like it if there was more sports and programs for the children to be in that didnt cost so much if they had school in the summer.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I'd love to have year-round school for my kids, but every time it comes up in our district the parents freak out. Most other countries (with a better education track record) go year round, I think it's good for the kids. Twelve weeks really is a long time, we go to the library once a week but it's not the same as school.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 5:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids get 6 weeks which I think is enough....They get longer breaks throughout the year and shorter summers so its ayear round type schedule. We love it. They do foregt things but this way they get a break but its not so long.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You know, now that I think about it, I would ok with having a year round school schedule with a week or two off littered throughout the year.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids go to year round - 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off.

Answer by missanc at 5:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• they are starting year round school, my cousin in Tennessee goes to one. i think there's some where i live too...not sure.

i can see why some parents would be for it, but others against it. businesses would probly not like it either. if they only have a few weeks off at a time, they'd have so many people asking to be off, the ones that normally have a family vacation that one summer a year, and that's alot of people. while having a whole summer, you have more date options to choose from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• the main reason why kids have 3 months off in the summer was long long ago the families needed the help on the farm, they needed the kids to help bring in the crops. There really is no reason for so much time off from school unless you live on a big farm and are needed to help with the crops.
    Most kids do forget up to 1/3 of what they have learned.
    pre-teen and teen crime goes up a lot during summer breaks
    and usually by 4-6 weeks the kids are bored and are ready to go back to school, even if they do not want to admit it.
    I think 1 month off in the summer is a good amount of time.
    With all the weekends, vacations and holidays kids are only in school 1/2 the year. The other 1/2 is wasted, could be why we are educationally behind other countries
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Lucky duck!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 5:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't know about them (mine is only 3), but I sure could use 12 weeks off right now, LOL.

Here's a bump.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010