would you be upset if he didnt even ask for one?

o were a tad bit upside down on our bills... We make enough we just dont budget well. So ive been looking for a better job but i told my so he should ask for a raise with his company hes been there for almost a year & hasnt gotten a raise. Hes a hrd worker never late or absent they even changed his dept to something better and a bit tougher (more manual) and his pay stayed the same. His sup told him when changing depts pay was same but that it didnt mean he could get a raise+soon...+That+was+months+ago.+Hes+nervous+to+ask+him+&+his+sup+get+a+long+well+but+hes+still+nervous....+And+hasnt+im+not+upset+really..its+just+i+think+we+should+both+try+as+hard+as+we+can+to+make+more+money....idk...+Thoughts?+Even+on+how+he+should+approach+asking??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No I wouldn't be upset. In most places they do raises at the same time.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Instead of pressuring about a raise, why not start budgeting better?

Because he gets a raise only means that there is more money to blow in ways you shouldn't. You need to fix the spending problem before thinking that making more money will help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It depends on the company and what their policies are. The company DH worked for just didn't give raises. Didn't matter what kind of work you did, or if you added on more responsibility, they just didn't do raises. And yes, it sucked. My company does annual raises so it's not anything I ever have to be concerned about. He may not feel that he's in a position yet to ask and like you said, he's nervous. Sometimes it's not an easy thing to ask your boss for more money.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• we ARE budgeting better. But we still need more income for thing coming up. He knows he deserves one. Its his personality he gets nervous and shy about it and doesnt get how to ask. He wants to but is nervous and doesnt know how to
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I know how he feels. I get that way too. Do they have a yearly review? My DH's company has a review each year and no one gets a raise till then. How much longer till he reaches a year? At the year mark, I would ask. In the meantime, cut back. Call your cable company and tell them you need to lower your bill, they will give you options. Try not to use AC. Keep your heat no higher than 65 in the winter. Wash clothes in cold water. Do you have cell and home phones? Get rid of one. Don't drive over 65 mph (save on gas). What if he asks and is denied? Then you are still in the same boat, You have to make cut-backs, if you are having trouble keeping up with your bills as-is.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• How much would raise really help? It seems like the other person suggested that you work better on the budgeting and go from there.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think he should be working there at least a year before asking for a raise. My husband's company does raises during their yearly evaluations. He can't just ask for a raise unless it's during that time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 7:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Most employee handbooks explain the salary increase policy. It is USUALLY done at the annual review time. If he has not had one scheduled, I would suggest he request one. During that meeting, he can discuss pay increases.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010