Why is it that a parent has to keep a child in a carseat, but

then that parent can smoke in that car with the windows up?

If they really wanted to protect children, should parent's be fined for smoking around their children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that y'all should stay out of MY car, and MY life, and let ME live MY life! I have smoked for a very long time, and I am raising my kids, (none of whom have crossed eyes, low IQ's, or asthma, btw....) and I would appreciate it very much if you know-it-alls would just let people be and STOP telling everyone else how to be a good loving parent! The fact that I smoke does NOT mean that I don't love my kids, nor does it mean that I am a bad parent! My kids have ALWAYS come first, they had what THEY NEEDED before anything else. When the gov't provides me with a car (maintenance included) then they can tell me what I can & can't do in it. But seriously, some of y'all are taking this WAAAY too far!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Im in the middle with this..
    --NO people should not smoke around kids..
    -- NO the govnt is not going to get in my business anymore than they already have! Everyone is slowly letting the goverment come into our homes.. Little by little they are coming in & taking over & telling us what we can do!
    I OWN MY CAR!!!! The govnt better stay the hell out if! My mom knows a judge in our area that said they may try making it where we cant smoke in our car PERIOD.. kid or no kid!
    (no i dont smoked.. i stopped the day i found out i was pregnant)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i understand that is a very bad thing. is it very common? do we really want laws to tell us how to parent our children? would you like the government to mandate breastfeeding for the first two years? would you like them to mandate cloth diapers because they are better for the environment?
    i just don't think that everything has to be a law.
    less than 25% of adults are smokers, how many of them smoke with the windows up with their kids in the car?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I TOTALLY AGREE!! Abiding by the law, while endangering your child's health, do not cancel each other out!! I think smoking in a confined space with your child SHOULD be illegal. Of course, I think smoking in general should be illegal, but that's a thread for another day! :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Because the parent really doesn't actually CARE about their child. I'd guess the only reason they even use the car seat is to avoid a ticket.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well,they're working on getting that to be illegal. Not soon enough,I say!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think that is illegal.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 5:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's definitely wrong to smoke with your children in the car with the windows up. I couldn't stand it, being in a car when my parents smoked, with the windows down. They don't have laws on how to raise your children, so how can you be fined for something, just because others think its wrong? Believe me, I agree with you, but what can you do?
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Depends where you live. I know in my state it's illegal to smoke in the car with any child under the age of 8.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• In California it is illegal to smoke while in your car with a child under the age of 14.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010