Anyone's child have/had issues with diarrhea?

I am wondering if anyones child went through this and if so, what you did to help the situation. And also what the diagnosis from the doctor was.

My 2 yr old has had diarrhea pretty much for about a week and a half. It hasnt really ever gone away, it has just gotten a little better and then gotten worse again. In the beginning, it seemed like it was just a stomach virus because he had it at the same time his little brother did. But then his little brother's pretty much went back to normal, and his still hasnt. I have taken him to the doctor, and he said his stool out to be analyzed, and we are now waiting for the results. The only thing the doctor told me to do in the meantime was to give him florastor (a probiotic) twice a day, keep giving him pedialyte, and stop giving him Lactaid (he is lactose intolerant that is why he is on it). He said to give him soy milk for now in case the Lactaid is bothering his system. (cont.)

dakajazz23

Asked by dakajazz23 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It might be something else he's eating/drinking. Sometimes something that they are fine with can suddenly cause issues. My husband and our toddler both got upset tummies like that at the same time. The husband's cleared up but our little one didn't. He would also get a bit better and then go right back. I was finally able to connect it to apple juice. He doesn't drink it every day and I realized that the better days were connected to the no juice days. He never had a problem with juice before he got the bug my husband had. I cut out juice long enough for his poop to get back to normal and then was able to reintroduce it with no more problems. It could just be that he did get a bug and got sensitive to something during the process that hasn't allowed him to go back to normal. Hope he is all better soon, in the mean time just keep him hydrated.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 6:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Also add Bananas, toast, rice, and applesauce to his diet. It will help firm it up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• (cont) I doubt that the Lactaid is bothering his system, since he has been on it for over a year with no problems. I am just wondering if anyone else had any issues like this, with their child system, and if so what the outcome of it was. And if there is anything more that I can do.
    dakajazz23

Comment by dakajazz23 (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes my son is 16 months and has had it for over a month now staright and they cannot figure it out. I had to take a sample to the hospital to check for big viruses and they found none. They are still trying to figure it out.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have tried giving him the "brat" diet. He won't eat the applesauce, or toast at all. Occasionally he will eat the banana or rice. He will eat plain saltine crackers, so I have been trying to give him those as much as possible.
    dakajazz23

Comment by dakajazz23 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• heres a bump GL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010