Did you take childbirth classes with your 2nd, 3rd, ect...baby?

Okay so I am pregnant with my 3rd child (first baby girl :) though) and after talking with my husband we decided that I wanted to try a completely natural childbirth so we decided to enroll in childbirth classes. I never took childbirth classes before even though this is my 3rd baby. My first pregnancy even though I was dating the biological father at the time he was worthless so I had to work 2 jobs up until I delivered just to afford bills and baby stuff (my current hubby came into the picture when my oldest was 2 and adopted him), with my second son I went into preterm labor at 28weeks and was on bedrest up until I delivered. This time the pregnancy is going great, I am now in my 6th month, and childbirth class is a 2 day 16 hr class that is for 2 days next month. The thing is is everybody tells me how stupid it is because I "already know how to give birth" since both my boys were vaginal delivery, I just got pain meds

mommatink83

Asked by mommatink83 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't with my first and we are trying for our second and I don't think I'm going to but not sure.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I didn't take a class with my first, and I did JUST fine. I have no intentions of doing one with any future kids either.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I did not do any child birth classes with 1,2 or 3....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i have had two kids and never have taken childbirth class. if you want to take a class, then do it. classes teach much more than "how to give birth", or so i have heard...
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If it's something that YOU think will make YOU more comfortable/confident.... who CARES what anyone else says... just do it! You may end up finding it VERY useful... or you may find that it was a complete waste of time. From the looks of your post, I'm guessing you're far more likely to regret skipping it than you will lamenting going if it turns out bad.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I took a class with my first and ended up having pain meds anyway.

I did not take any classes for my 2nd & 3rd and had very quick, natural births.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No, we didn't. I went to the Library and read everything I could find about pregnancy,childbirth,infancy, though and it helped a lot. I was prepared for the birth. My DH wouldn't go to classes and wouldn't be with me in the delivery room. Chicken.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I did with my first. If I decide to have another, I won't. I didn't feel that it helped at all during his birth. They pretty much talk you through it anyway. But, if you and your DH want to, then go for it. I think my mom did with me(I was #5), but I was my dad's 1st. It might help your DH more then you.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i think it's a great idea. they will teach you ways of dealing with the pain that you may not know about. they will also give you the confidence to trust your body to give birth. if you are confident you are more likely to do it without pain meds.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I've had two natural births and didn't take any classes, but I did read everything I could get my hands on. I also chose out of hostpital births, my first at a free standing birth center and my second at home with a midwife.

My favorite book was Ina May's Guide To Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. It gave lots of technical information but also focuses on the emotional side of birth and how it can affect the mother and the birth. If you chose to stay in the hospital I high suggest The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth by Henci Goer. It throughly discusses all hospital procedures and interventions so that you are fully informed.

Do what you feel you need to do, it's your birth after all ; )
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 5:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010