Remedies for severe diaper rash?

I was wondering if anyone knows of some remedies that they would like to share for really bad diaper rash? I have been using the usual things, Balmex, Desitin, Butt Paste, but they dont seem to be making that much of a difference. I am sure that the reason he has this incredibly bad diaper rash is because he has had diarrhea for about a week and a half now. (He has already been to the doctors for the diarrhea) Other then having him run around naked, which I am not that thrilled about, does anyone else have any ideas to help his poor bottom? He cries every time I change his diaper, no matter how gentle I try to be.

dakajazz23

Asked by dakajazz23 at 5:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, my dd suffered from ear infections when she was a baby. All of those antibiotics did a number on her poor little behind. After forgetting to ask the doctor about it at one of her appointments, we asked the pharmacist when we picked up yet another, different round of antibiotics for her. Here's what he told us:
    In a resealable container, Mix equal parts
    *Desitin
    *Lotramin
    *Hydrocortizone.

Apply it to the area as needed. I swear, this stuff is magic. It cleared her up like a charm within a few days. Recently, my 26 year old sister was suffering from a rash on her bottom due to lord knows what. She had tried several creams too. Because it looked a lot like diaper rash to me, I mixed some of the magic cream up for her and told her to use it. It cleared whatever it was up in a few days. Good luck!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I always got the best results with either A&D (which is vaseline and lanolin) or just plain vaseline. The cream type remedies end up getting absorbed, which doesn't help with diarrhea. The vaseline doesn't get absorbed and acts as a barrier for the poor skin. SLATHER it on at every change. If it doesn't go away after a few days, have the doc check it again. If you've got a barrier and it's still not clearing up it might be a yeast infection (or other) also.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• ok..you got the run around naked..umm, instead of using wipes, use a warm wet washcloth to wipe..i know it sounds disgusting, but whatever is in wipes hurt their bottoms if they've had diarhea that badly. my mom always mixed corn starch and water with us, when my sis and i were little. umm, butt paste always worked best for me,..but i know where your coming from, dd had it so bad one time that she had open sores, and i had to get a perscription. if it keeps up, i'd try calling the doc and see if they recomend anything or if they can give a perscription for diaper rash..good luck...also,
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• u are letting him air it out already .he may need a pricription diaper rash creame . my 2 yr old gets them really bad to.i normally just let her go naked and use a different cream triple paste works pretty good .you could also use vasaline so it dont touch his skin when he does go in the diaper .dont use wipes or diapers with perfume in them
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try baking soda soaks, put some warm water in the tub or sink and pour in some baking soda. Let him soak in it for a little while, it helps to soothe the bottom, then after you pat dry apply whichever cream you want and then apply powder or corn starch on top of that, the powder will keep the cream from rubbing right off when you put a diaper on. Also instead of wipes use damp paper towels until his bottom is better. If it does not get better after a few days the go back to the doctor and make sure its not yeast. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 6:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• baking soda, also after you use wipes get a warm wet washcloth and wipe him down
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• To be honest, I am pretty worried about letting him air out and run around naked. I did it today for about 10 minutes the most, and then he peed all over the floor. Which wasnt that major, because it was tile, and easy to clean up, but I was worried that there was more diahrrea coming next, because there has been a lot of it today.
    dakajazz23

Comment by dakajazz23 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My daughter had a terrible diaper rash and I tried everything to get rid of it. I finally took her to the dr and he gave me a script for nystatin and it cleared up within 2 days of using it. I'd call the dr if I was you.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• heres a bump GL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2010