Isn't this just another double standard?

I read people saying that Muslims are peaceful and so is their religion. Then comes news that someone is going to open a gay bar next to the new Mosque in NY. Someone calls it out and says that they see lots of dead people which I agree with to a point and she is admonished by others. But then it is also acknowledged that it won't go well because drinking and homosexuality are against their religions. Now, Christians are called out on their religion being against homosexuality, yet Muslims get a free pass. Why? Isn't it in effect the same thing? It is against their religion and they don't believe in it. Aren't they oppressors? I never hear the Muslim community being called out on that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's because it's fun and PC to bash Christians these days. Muslims don't approve of many of the same things that Christians don't approve of. In that way, we have a lot in common. Good point, OP. I'll check back later to see how much drama this question stirs up, because I'm sure it will.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 6:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Good point. Like I always say, it's not just (some) Christians that are against homosexuality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• mustbegrace - your lack of comprehension skills are not my concern...you've demonstrated repeatedly that your mind is both small and closed.

Anyone else needing clarification of my reply; I'd be more than happy to oblige.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• So sisteract my religion is FINE as long as it is confined to my home or my place of worship? I don't think so. You need to get your damned foot off the Constitution and read the First Amendment again. When your done, read some Congressional Record when they wrote it. Come back and tell me exactly what part of it you don't understand and I'll try and put it into toddler language for you.

OP, I am sick and tired of people trampling upon the CONSTITUTIONALLY GUARANTEED rights of the religious in this country. Religion is one of the few things mentioned SPECIFICALLY. I don't imagine that happened by accident.

I think it will get really interesting when the idiots finally allow Sharia Law to be implemented. I think the gay community will have a little more to worry about than "marriage" when that happens.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well, if we're answering straight off stereotypes... the response might simply be "the Christians aren't going to bomb you for bashing them". Honestly though, no idea.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• And while there are Christians who are against homosexuality, and some who are not, the same applies to Muslims as well. You know as well as I do that there are gay Muslims. I think it is a great idea, to have a gay bar serving virgin drinks next to a Mosque. Now, we just need to get a temple and a church in Saudi Arabia and Iran.....
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• (con't)

A summary of the basic beliefs that the Founders wanted taught are:

--The "self-evident" truth that there is a Creator who made all things.
    --That the Creator has revealed a moral code which defines what is right and what is wrong.
    --That the Creator holds mankind responsible for the way they treat each other.
    --That all mankind live beyond this life.
    --That in the next life individuals are judged by the Creator for their conduct in this one.
    -----

So, according to the Founders, I can practice my religion WHEREVER I want to. AND the basic beliefs of religion should be taught in school. But somehow, I am not allowed to mention God in a school building...or to pray in a school building. Funny how making Christians practice in private and be so careful NOT to offend others infringes on their right to the free exercise of their religion.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 2:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Well, I think all religions are oppressive to some degree. Gender, class and race all seem to have their hierarchies in the original texts, whether Bible or Quran.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 6:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• While it is going to be a gay bar, there will only be virgin drinks served, due to the fact that Muslims do not drink alcohol. I think Mr. G said there would be 72 different virgin drinks.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• hmmmm...if memory serves, and sometimes it does, there were a few (muslim?) pilots who killed lots of people in the name of Allah. (God, right?)

but i'm probably not remembering things correctly.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010