what would be easier? (breastfeeding question)

in 2 weeks i will have to stop breastfeeding my baby for 24 hours because of medication i will have to take. i only have to take it one time, and it will be out of my system after 24 hours. i have never given him a bottle, i do not own a pump, and i was given some formula that i can give to him. so i can buy a pump and pump breast milk and freeze it to give to him that day, or i can give him formula. i need to pick soon so i can get him ok with whatever i pick before that day. after the medication is gone, i will go back to breastfeeding him. also, what steps should i take to get him ready?

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 6:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you dont pump you may get filled up and it can become painful .i would say your best bet would be to pump and dump that day and pump and freeze for the day you cant breastfeed him .you may dry up to if you dont feed at all that day thats another reason to pump and dump.
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If you can not rent or borrow a pump, you will have to give him formula. I would prepare to have someone else feed him and do a couple of practice runs before the day comes. After, he may have an upset tummy as his body tries to digest. Hope it works for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Buy a pump and start pumping now. You can freeze some up and let dad give it to him in the bottle. On the day you take the medication pump and dump. When dad or whoever gives the bottle wrap the baby in a blanket you slept on or the shirt you wore the day before without washing it. I stress dad or another caregiver for the bottle because if it's you, baby will expect the breast. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• How old is he?

Generally speaking I'd say buy a cheap manual pump (you can get one in the $30ish range), and pump and freeze ahead of time, and pump and dump for that period. If he's really young, he's probably going to end up with an upset stomach going to the formula.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You can feed him by cup also. it actually might be easier than a bottle if he doesn't take it. I also agree with britme1027
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 6:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Oh, and it's a VERY bad idea to use a used pump... unless it's a commercial grade pump. You might want to check with the local hospital(s), many of them offer rentals. That will probably be MUCH cheaper (and FAR more efficient/easier) than a cheap manual one.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You will want to pump and dump anyway to keep up your supply and keep yourself comfortable.

I would start pumping now and build up a supply for the freezer now. I would also have a few trials runs with the bottle as well. 2 of my 3 never took the bottle well and were not fun by the end of the day when I was at work.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the medication is not safe? Just asking because many doctors just don't know for sure, so they tell you it's unsafe to cover their butts. If you haven't already, try asking an IBCLC, LLL leader, or e mail Dr Hale.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i have to take a iodine pill. i am sure that it is not ok for him to have. Thank you for all the responces. this has been a very scary time and i want things to go as easy as possible.

happy-go-lucky

Comment by happy-go-lucky (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would get a cheap hand pump and pump BM for him and then pump and dump during the time he is being fed from a bottle, sippy cup, whatever.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010