At waht age did you make your child start making their own breakfast and lunches?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• 1st grade. They are now 9 and 10 and can use the microwave and toaster. My mom never made us do anything for ourselves - she made all of our food, cleaned the entire house, washed our clothes - because of that, I never learned to do it myself and when I moved out on my own I was at a complete loss!! I am making sure my kids learn how to do things for themselves, not because I don't love them, but because I do.

Answer by missanc at 8:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I never did, I found and still find pleasure in doing it for them, I know it is unusual but true, my eldest daughter and her sister,  now calls me for recipes and I love that too.

Answer by older at 6:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• depends on what they are making .my 7 yr old can make her own pb&j sandwhiches and stuff like that but i dont let her use the oven or stove .she can use the microwave but i am normally standing there when she does
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Im going to say SD started making her own breakfast cereal, toast, waffles, and packing her own lunch around 8 yrs.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 2! No seriously though my son has started trying to make his own food . He'll get out bread and peanut butter and make a "samwich." I think it's cute. And part of that independent two stage.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My children lived at home through their undergraduate college degrees, and I never made them fix their own breakfast, lunch, nor dinner. It was my pleasure to do that for them and to take some of the pressure off of them. I'll tell you another dirty little secret, too. I made and changed their beds, washed and ironed their clothes, and I even put them away for them. To this day, they tell me how much they appreciate what I did for them, and I only did it because I loved them and wanted to mother them for as long as I possibly could.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• NannyB, so nice to find another mother who feels like I do, so often people do not understand the pleasure derived from doing these things.

Answer by older at 7:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I want to add, that although I catered to my kids always even now, they are very independent adults who know how to fend for themselves in every way.

Answer by older at 8:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I never "made" them, they just started doing simple things for themselves...like using the microwave, toaster oven, getting their own ready-to-eat snacks, cereal and milk, etc. It probably helps that I keep most of their requested items and fresh fruits and veggies cleaned, chopped and in vacuum sealed baggies so they don;t have to ask me. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010