feeding Question adult content

My son is three weeks old he sleeps 4 to 5 hours between his breast feedings.. how do i make sure he's getting enough food??

kaydee8

Asked by kaydee8 at 6:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thats way too long for his age! He should be fed every 2-3

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Feed on demand.And a sleeping baby is not hungry. If he has at least six to eight wet diapers a day he is getting enough. If you are still concerned get a baby scale and weigh him every few days to check weight gain.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• This is really a better question for his doctor. As I recall at that point our doc said that was fine as long as they're gaining well.

Most babies... if they're not getting enough (they're hungry) they'll cry/fuss/etc. If he's gaining and not fussing, he's getting enough. If you're concerned (and don't want to talk to the doc about it) you could always offer it to him more often. Babies fed from the breast (generally) can't be over fed. If he takes it, let him have it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 6:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Feed when he wants to eat. He knows when he is hungry and he will not sleep through hunger :) As long as he is gaining well, and having plenty of wet diapers hes doing great :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• What goes in must come out. As long as you are getting 6-8 wet diapers a day, he's doing fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well first are there any other medical conditions that could be making him sleepy like jaundice or anything like that? If not then you feed on demand and for my kids the first month or so they fed about every 3-4 hours and then fed like crazy for a few weeks and then back down to 3-4 hours. My first I did have to wake up though due to being very jaundice. If he is gaining well and getting at least 6-8 wet/dirty disposable (more if cloth) diapers a day then there should be no concern.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My very chunky DD goes insanely long stretches sleeping. We co sleep so I put a nipple in her mouth every 3-4 hours because I worry. She will nurse without really waking. If you are really worried, try that.

Diaper count, weight gain, and fussiness are the only things you can use as a guide.

You might just have one of those "good sleepers" like I have.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My LO was sleeping very heavy and very well at that age. She would go up to 8 hours, but she was getting enough wet and dirty diapers. Just make sure that you have at least 6-8 wet/dirty diapers a day.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010