Another Gay marriage question...

OK- I am in favor of Gay Marriage no two ways about it BUT do you think that polygmy (spelling?) among consenting adults should be valid as well? Is there practical/legal ramifications that I am not thinking about with polygmy? I am not equating gays with polygmists by any means- I was just thinking-if we say (and I agree) that marriage is not "one man-one woman" would this be OK as well. Help me think this through rationally....

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 6:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There are messier legal problems there in terms of inheritance and how things are divided - say it's 1 man, 2 women, if the man dies are both wives entitled to equal ss benefits or do they split it? If one wife dies is only the husband entitled to benefits or both surviving spouses? In the event of divorce, who all is responsible for child support? Are the non-birth parents in the relationship automatically given parental status (as happens now in married couples - any baby born is automatically considered the husband's even if he's not the birth parent)?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• YES! As I have stated many many times, regardless of what OTHERS believe, if consenting adults wish to have a life like that NO ONE should have the right to tell them they can't! I would love to have a sister wife! I've tried to talk my DH in to having a second woman in his life more than once. I'm a huge supporter of plural marriage!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I do believe that any consenting adult should be allowed to marry any other, and however many, consenting adult/s as he/she pleases - as long as all parties are aware of the situation and consent to being part of it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i'll sign-up, as long as seniority nets more 'allowance'..LMBO!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am for marriage between any ADULTS capable of making the decision, Teen girls forced into marriage do not fall into that category.

That is where the controversy come in with polygamists. Most of the wives are mind controlled teens.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• In eitehr case teh marriage should be between CONSENTING ADULTS.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes.  It's not for me (although an extra husband or two could have some interesting possibilities;) but I don't have any problems with legalising polygamy. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I'll see if I can find it again. It's been ages since I read through all that... But I'll look...

Honestly, I would love the second wife, but I think a second husband just isn't in the cards for me... I want to strangle the one I have half the time! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• For me marriage is between two people and only two people, but that does not mean I should FORCE my believes on others. If the relationship is between consenting adults and all parties are aware of each other then so be it. Yeah taxes etc might get interesting, but I think we could manage to figure that out, come on let's get a better excuse then that people.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Of course. What business is it of mine? As long as everyone is over 18 I don't care.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 7:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010