How or what can I do to get my grandson to use the potty?

tammy86

Asked by tammy86 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• use a sticker chart..everytime he uses the potty he gets a sticker, or you could use m&m's instead of stickers.
    whatever you do dont force him to use the toilet or make fun or pick on him and dont let anyone else either, of him if he has a acident Just saying thats all not saying that you would.
    also maybe make a big production about how he is such a big boy now, take him to the store and get big boy underwear.

Good Luck
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I just get really excited and it makes her want to go more. I bought my LO a stool for her to stand on to get onto the potty but she is still to short to do it on her own. But make him feel like a big boy by explaining all the being a big boy means.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• if he's just being kind of lazy, find out something that you can use as a reward...like something big that he will want to work for. My son knew HOW to go on the potty but just wouldn't do it. He was also really really really interested in playing video games. Took away the games and now they are ONLY if he uses the potty (specifically poop) and since I did that he has finished training himself practically!! and in a very short time.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I picked up some books and cars from a second hand store and let my son pick out a step stool to get onto his potty seat. Also, he loved fruit snacks. After he would go pee he could have a few of the snacks, or pick a prize. Also, no pull ups except right before bed (like, make him go pee before he is tucked in and then change into "special night time underwear").
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I bribed my 3rd with MnM's. I had tried everything else and broke down and used candy lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• how old is he? you may have to wait a bit until he is ready
    jasonsmommom

Answer by jasonsmommom at 10:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Rewards are great. I also recommend you use underpants and not pull-ups or diapers (save those for nap/night time). At regular intervals tell him it's time to try going potty. Don't force him but simply tell him it's time to try. If he still resists, back off and just tell him it's his job to keep dry so if he needs to go he should tell you. You can also frequently just check to see if he is dry and if he is, tell him what a good boy he is for staying dry.
    How old is he? My boys were not ready at two so we waited until they were 3 (and even then they weren't quite ready). One trained at just under 3.5 and the other is just training now (and doing great). They'll be 4 in Nov. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 12:47 PM on Aug. 11, 2010