is it really that bad?

My 15 month old daughter loves her bottle. With my other daughter it was no problem at all breaking her of the bottle. She used a sippy cup from 10 months on. Scarlet, however, really loves her bottles. She will drink juice from a cup but not milk. She drinks a bottle to go to sleep and when I need to get her to drink some milk. Now please don't bash me. I understand that "experts" say its wrong but is it really that bad? Has anyone else had this problem? I mean when I was a baby it was common to see a 2 or 3 year old with a bottle. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter was the same way. However, when she started to tear the nipples off the bottles it became a big problem. She wanted me to fix the nipples on the bottles. I simply couldn't keep replacing them. So, she had to move on to a sippy cup. There was no other choice.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's really not a good thing.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 2 words..."Bottle Rot" The bottle having isn't the bad part, it's the milk around her teeth all night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• There's a big difference between a 15 month old and a 24 month old. She may well have quit by then. My twins used to go to bed with a bottle, in fact I would hand them their bottles and they would run into their room, climb into their beds and fall asleep, just like that! When they turned 2 and a half we had a bottle throwing away ceremony and that was that. LOL my boy never drank milk again.

They turned 17 last month and they've had no problems with their teeth and are slim and healthy. So I say no "it's not that bad", relax :)

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The sugar in the milk will rot her teeth if she has a bottle while going to sleep.... plus it could ruin her teeth
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• As long as she's not using it as a security blanket it should be fine. Let her have it like you would a cup. Let her drink what she wants in a set amount of time then put it away.Just remember when you put her to bed with a bottle you are unable to clean her mouth and "milk" will spoil in her mouth.Try substituting something that will not be so bad for her oral health. I wish you all the luck in the world.
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Bottle rot.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes! it really is that bad. Bottle rot not only impairs and harms the baby teeth but leaves behind damage for the adult teeth. Just take the bottle and put milk in a sippy and that is that. I am all about the tough love and they just gotta deal b/c that it what I said that they have to do. My LO has been using a sippy since she was about 6 mos old and then onto a straw sippy by 12 mos and at 2 she is using a regular cup with a straw but has to be supervised or I have water everywhere. IF your DD needs it at bed time then only put water in it. Good luck but it really is better for her oral health to have the bottle gone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It kinda is that bed. The pic bradenismyson posted is of what happens when they are put to bed with the bottle. The sugars from the milk or juice sit on the teeth as they sleep and it rots away thier teeth. It can also leave damage and gum problems for the adult teeth as well. If she must have a bottle at night make it water in the bottle. If you can wean her that would be best. I know its hard but the couple days of a fight is better than a life of dental disease :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have 5 kids and in my experience the longer you wait to take the bottle away, the harder it is. It will only get tougher so might as well get it over with. I believe that babies going through giving up bottles need lots of affection and mom time. So prepare yourself for a few rough days and just do it. Kind of like ripping a bandaid off. My twins were off the bottle at 12 months. Dad tried to give in and I refused. They are doing so well now and a bottle to them is faded memories!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010