How can I get him to sleep through the night?

My son is nine months and he is still not sleeping through the night. Some nights I get up nearly every hour, but recently he has improved. I want to know how to get him to go to sleep without having to drink a bottle first. Should I be concerened that he is getting up so much at this stage in the game?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Took my youngest a full year to sleep through the night. You have nothing to be concerned about. And why do you want him to go to sleep w/out having a bottle first?
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my son has been sleeping thru the night, so far since he was 4 weeks old, he's 3 months now, we have a nightly routine that we are pretty strict with, thats why we tell family that we always have to leave around 7 so that we can get our son on his schedule. usually starts with his bath, baby massage, dressed for bed, a bottle of formula, or breast milk, or i will nurse him if dad is busy, but then after that, we take him to bed, and put him on his stomach until i go to sleep.. we usually make a few trips in, to pat him on his back, and then he's out within about 20 min or so, when i go to bed which is usually acouple of hours later, i flip him over onto his back, and then he doesnt wake up til about 12 hours later.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It sucks but you have to find a way for him to sooth himself with out the bottle. That bottle has become his security. My son was the same way, and I hated it but I had to give him a pacifier. He just needed to suck to get to sleep. Now he sleep all night (7pm bed time and gets up at 7am). Once in a while he wakes up but I just have to pop the pacifier back in his mouth and he goes to sleep.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 1:14 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• my two year old still has milk before bed and im 17 and i still need milk to sleep its not a big deal milk relaxes you and him waking up don't worry he might have growing pains
    mamaof317

Answer by mamaof317 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I read a book called the 90 Minute Sleep Solution. In a quick summary, the book explains how important day time sleep is. I think it was about $15. My daughter went from waking four or five times a night to once. She wakes up around four for a drink of water but goes right back to sleep.

Good luck! You must be sleepy
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Here is a good article on baby sleep and setting up healthy sleep habits. My LO has slept through the night since 9 weeks because we set up a predictable routine and stick with itm she is now 9 months and sleeps from 7pm - 7am. HTH.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 3:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2008