how much breast milk should i pump to feed my 2 month old for one day?

for medical reasons i will not be able to breastfeed my baby for 24 hours. i am going to pump breast milk and save it for him to have that day. how much should i have saved? this is the only time i am going to use it.

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 7:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• An ounce for every hour you will be away. So, 24 ounces.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• To be on the safe side I would recommend 30 ounces. Between one and six months babies eat an average of 24-30 ounces. I hope you have a lot of time to prepare...it will take a lot of time to pump that much while also nursing.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 8:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• According to La Leche League's Breastfeeding Answer Book, 3rd edition, on average most breastfed babies take between 2-4 ounces about 8-12 times per day, consuming about 28-32 ounces total per day.

There is a good chance you don't have to go a whole 24 hours w/o breastfeeding. LOTS of moms are told that they can't breastfeed for 24 hours due to a medical procedure when it is actually perfectly safe to breastfeed much sooner. If you are having surgery or other procedure where you are given anesthesia you can nurse the baby as soon as you are alert enough to hold them. It is out of your system really fast.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The only reasons you shouldn't breastfeed would be taking a radioactive drug or chemotherapy. I agree that you have most likely been given inaccurate info. You can call LLL to find out more info. I breastfed minutes after cancer surgery. You can breastfeed and take pain meds, moms that have had c-sections do it all the time.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010