Will my cat get over this?

I have 2 cats who love each other very much, they play together everyday. They are not related. My older cat is 2 years old, and my younger one is 4 1/2 months old, and my older cat has adopted the younger one, she treats her like she is her kitten, she bathes her, plays with her, & sleeps with her. I took my kitten to get spayed today, & when we brought her home from the vet, the other cat did not like the way she smelled, so she hissed & spit at her, and the kitten is scared now, she keeps her distance from the other cat. I know the older cat notices that the kitten smells different, & has stitches on her stomach with smelly medicine on it, but will she get over it and accept the kitten again whens he heals.? I hope she don't treat the kitten different from now on because of this.

Honda309

Asked by Honda309 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pets

• she will probably get over it, but it may take a week or two.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, your cat will get back to normal. Once the baby cat smells like home, everything will be fine. Thank you for caring enough to spay/neuter your pets!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes! It is just the smell. Give them time.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 7:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Is there a blanket or bed the other cat lays on? You could rub that on the kitten to get the scent back on her. If not, you could try brushing the older cat and then brushing the kitten to get the same effect.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 8:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, once she is healed wash her up, even if it's just a wet cloth around her stitched area. The kitten and older cat will go back to being friends again once the older cat sees that she's no longer a threat. Some cats don't like change, and your older cat seems to be one of them. And it scares them when something/someone they know changes. Just give them time they'll be okay.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You can also dab a little of vanilla extract right under their chins on the neck on both cats and that may help. Yes they will get over it and get back to normal in a few weeks.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I needed to hear that.
    Honda309

Comment by Honda309 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• this too shall pass
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• My cats do this to each other every time one of them has to go to the vet for anything at all. They get over it relatively quickly...your kitties will be back loving on each other soon. Kudos on the spaying!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:33 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• it could b the meds it smells
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:07 PM on Aug. 28, 2010