Shouldn't my 7 year old be able to shower on her own?

Because she can't. Even though we've shown her a thousand times. She still doesn't do it right. She still doesn't get the shampoo spread around right, and still doesn't get it all out the first time.

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 7:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter just turned 8. She can shower herself but I still do her hair because it's very thick and I even have to work at it to get all the shampoo out. When I was younger my mom made me do it by myself and I always ended up with shampoo left in (my hair is VERY thick and was down to my butt). I finally had it all chopped off so I could rinse it out.
    ramawin

Answer by ramawin at 8:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yep. All 3 of my kids (2 boys and 1 girl) could shower independently by age 6. (At 5, they still needed supervision and direction).
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 7:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, she should Don't do it for her, she needs to do it for herself.
    3boysandmekmcd

Answer by 3boysandmekmcd at 7:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, she should. Don't do it for her - sit in the bathroom and tell her to keep rubbing in the shampoo until she gets it right and then tell her to keep rinsing until she gets it all out. She needs to do it for herself with direction until she gets it right. Don't do it for her, make her do it herself.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think she is a little too young to do it by herself. I bathed my children in the tub until they were old enough to do it on their own. That way, they can start out doing part of it themselves, and Mom can help with the hard part, like shampooing the hair.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Neither of my children bathed or showered by themselves until the 'modesty' gene kicked in, about age 10 years. I would stay in the bathroom with each of them while they bathed or showered to be sure they did not slip, fall or drown. I know, I am a very over protective of my children. But, this is just me. Other Mom's and Dad's may feel differently, but I knew when the children asked to be by themselves, they could manage on their own. Just my humble experience.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 8:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son couldn't, as he had never been taught. (My children were adopted as children, not infants, and had been severely abused and neglected). It took about 3 weeks for him to get the hang of doing it all on his own. My daughter was fine showering on her own at about 6-6 1/2 ... definitely by the time she was 7.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• not sure about 7, but i get my 3yr old to do it...he washes himself, but i always do a follow up, just in case. it's mainly just for him to learn. i do have a friend though, her son is 6 and she does it all still, he does nothing but stand there while she washes him. at least you're trying :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 7:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i help my 3 & 5 yr old with their hair and they do the rest. we are teaching our 5 year old and she is not getting shampoo all on right yet but i would say a 7 year old should be able to, provided there are no developmental delay issues.... otherwise just have her do it with supervision and instruction repeatedly until she gets it. GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 7:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010