Sensory issues?

My husband worked in fuel cell (climbing into the fuel tanks on tankers (refuling planes) to fix them) for about 3 years. Well after about a so long it can cause problems with yoru babies. A few women that are married to guys in his old shop who's kids have sensory problems and other mental and physical disabilities. My daughter will be 1 on the 30th. I've been told that doctors can't diagnose it this young. She will falls and hits hard and doesn't cry unless we make a face looking worried. She hits her self. She's very rough about things that should be gentle (more than other babies her age, she aggressive about it). There are so many other things that she does that are like my friends child who has sensory deprovation. My friend told me to get her checked because she noticed she's like that. I am planning to but I am curious what else should I look for? Does anyone have a child with this problem?

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 7:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sweetie, I can understand your concern but you have to understand toddlers. Toddlers usually don't react to falling/hitting into something until the parent reacts. Unless they genuinely hurt themselves, they won't react unless the parent says "Are you okay?" Or something to that effect. Especially if the parent jumps up and runs to them flipping out, then the kid will act like they ripped off an arm. It's normal for them not to react, but if they think they should (because the parent does) they will suddenly react. That doesn't have to do with her mental or physical abilities, just her being a toddler.

Some kids are very aggressive. More then other children. Some children are very aggressive and it may seem that it's only your child, but it's really not.

Now I'm not trying to play down your worries. If you genuinely think something is wrong then by all means take her in. However, from where I stand she's normal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son is 100 percent normal and he is agressive with touching and pulling and throwing. Things like that. He isnt an aggressive kid, like he doesnt hit or bite, he just is rough..lol..And he doesnt fall when he cries either unless its something that really hurts..If you are concerned speak with your pedi at her 1 year appointment to set your mind at ease :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Babies can be tested for and treated by occupational therapists for sensory issues. My son started being treated when he was around 12 mo.

In order for your husband's work to cause problems in children his sperm would have to have genetic damage. With that kind of work he would have to use protection. I doubt he has genetic damage from his job. If his job does, why in the world is he doing it? If a job is bad enough to cause genetic damage in sperm it could cause cancer and premature death from other causes. No amount of money should be worth it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• @ Gailll

Working in Fuel Cell has been proven to cause problems in children if they have them after a year or so of workign fuel cell. The reason he was in the job is because he is in the military and that is the mechanic job they gave him. He didn't ask for it. For the first year and a half they didn't have the right filters for their masks so it was like not even where them. When he was deployed half the time they didn't have masks or didn't want them to take the time to put them on because they needed the jet going so it could go back to help. Yes that job causes cancer, mental disorders, asthma, other lung and breathing problems, and premature death. Since he got in the job we were looking for ways out. In the military you can't exacitally quit. So finially after being in it for 3 1/2 years he found a way out. He is training for a new job. He still has problems from his old job.
    MizAnn

Comment by MizAnn (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2010