Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help with visitation PLEASE.

I go to court with my Daughters father tomorrow and he has done some bad thing from drugs to probation, to attempt suicide, they have suspended visitation for a month I do not want him to get visitation back but if he does can anyone give me some suggestions, keep in mind his family covers up for him and lies for him, and my daughter is only 6 and is my world. HE tries to buy her love and does not do much for her and his family has tried to bribe me, I am scared for her safety I do have an attorney.

Answer Question

Asked by mommyofseven123 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Just asked for supervised visitation and routine drug screens, im sure your attorney has this all under control. If you are really scared talk to your attorney about a restraining order...also as long as it does not go against court orders move out of state.

    Answer by megmckn at 12:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • I agree with megmckn. IF..he does get visitation rights tomorrow then I would try to force "baby steps" and get supervised visits ONLY. The routine drug screen is also an excellent idea especially if the courts already know about his drug problem. Don't make it easy on him..until he can PROVE that your child is safe. This shows the courts that you are giving him a chance to see his child & the ball is in his court if he wishes to have the rights of visitation.

    Answer by onespecialmom at 1:23 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • I agree with the other two moms you have to think about her safety,your lawyer should already know the steps to take to do this good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • supervised visitation, drug tests, complete a drug program, parenting classes, therapy etc.etc.
    Talk it over with your lawyer and consult your state web site.
    Also baby step visits: no more than____ hours, ____ times a week. Phone calls allowed b/w ___ to ___ time (if that has been an issue in the past)
    Flip through the archives in the custody group for extra ideas.
    but be sure to be open to their having a relationship (even if he tries to buy her love, sometimes that's all they know how to do) but children still need to know that both their parents are there for them.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

  • Ya know I am going through the exact same thing except the shoe is on the other foot for me. my exes parents have custody of my son, and his parents cover evrything up for him, and only he is a loud to see my son, the decision is not made by the courts of this it's his parents, and I am just being thrown right out of his life. and my son, oh i love him so much! he is my world! i think about him everyday,minute.

    Answer by christina200107 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.