Are these contractions?

This sounds sooooo stupid, especially since this is my second child, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm having contractions (I had to be induced at 36 weeks with my first due to my water breaking and me NOT getting any contractions). Every so often for the past few weeks (I'm 36 weeks along) I will get random cramping. They feel like very light menstrual cramps. It happens pretty much once a day, and it isn't strong. It's mildly uncomfortable.

Is this what I'm supposed to be watching for with contractions? Is this what I'm supposed to pay attention to for feeling if they get regular?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes. A contraction is a contraction, is a contraction. They are called braxton hicks until they are coming in a regular pattern and getting to be more painful.
    Each one of them is helping your body prepare for labor. Even if they get intense and a bit painful, just try to relax through them. If you get more than 12 in an hour, call your ob.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• BTW are you drinking enough water? Dehydration can bring on Braxton Hicks.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• those sound a bit more like braxton hicks to me, but as always just give your doctor a call if they get regular or get really painful.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sounds like it may be Braxton Hicks contractions. If the get going every five minutes and seem stronger they are probably real so call your dr or head to the hospital to be checked out.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 9:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try to relax, they sound like Braxton Hicks to me. If they get regular and you get them more than 10-12 times an hour call your Dr.
    psugal