What can I do to increase my milk supply?

I am going back to work in a couple of weeks and my son hated the bottle but I knew that I was going back so I switched him to the bottle and started pumping since then my supply has decreased tremendously. Any suggestions? I got the lactation cookies receipe but does it really work? Thanks!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 9:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mother's tea is like magic for me;)
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 9:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• warm showers will warm the mussles in ur breasts and help the milk come out more freely.. but if you need larger amouts you need to pump more.... your body will keep producing it as soon as ur empty.. and the more u empty, the more u will make.... you body will make as much as u need... so just pump more frequesntly through out the day
    inkedmommy1414

Answer by inkedmommy1414 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had a home health nurse with my daughter because she was born in the United Kingdom, and all newborns have to be visited by a nurse to be sure the child was well cared for etc. I asked this question to my nurse and she said I should add some brewers yeast, available at health food stores into my diet. I would sprinkle it on cereal, or any other food and I was amazed how much my milk supply improved. I would ask your doctor or pediatrician for your case. My son was born in the United States, and I sure did miss that nurse those first weeks at home. She was such a confidence booster!

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 9:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try to breastfeed him as much as you can when your home and pump when you're not. Drink plenty of fluids.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 9:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• fenugreek is an herb that you can take that will naturally increase milks supply, however if you have any anxiety problems it's not the best choice. basil, anis, and fennel can also you be used for natural production, however absolutely stay away from thyme, rosemary or sage because tehy can dry up your mamory glands. best of luck....and remember the phrase just keep pumping just keep pumping. it was a tweeked phrase that my dd came up with when i was pumping and she was watching nemo.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Breastfeeding as much as possible, then pump. Baby is the best pump to increase milk.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nurse frequently when you are with your baby
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with what everyone else has said. Also, oatmeal is supposed to be good for boosting supply. Just nurse, nurse, nurse when you're with him. If you can get to him on your lunch break, nurse him then as well. Don't worry about him taking a bottle because trust me, he won't starve himself when he's away from you. Also, don't stress over how much you're pumping. Pumping is never a good indication of supply. I'm a working mom as well, and I've been back for 3 months (DD is 6 months). I found that when I figured out good pumping times (11 am and 3 pm for me), I was less stressed about my supply and about my day in general. Good luck!
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It sounds like you are saying you are pumping and bottle feeding and not breastfeeding at all. This is very difficult to do and keep your supply up. Pumps do not work as well as a baby. It takes a lot of time and dedication to pump every 3 hours around the clock, clean pump parts, bottle feed, ect. This isn't necessary or desirable.

You can continue to breastfeed and your baby can have one or two bottles while you are gone. If your baby is old enough your baby may need no bottles at all. Teas, foods, ect. have not been proven to increase milk supply. The way to increase supply is to breastfeed more often. If you want to bottle feed expressed milk you may need a rental pump.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Get on a schedule if not already. Drink plenty of water and increase your calories. That should get you going. If you nurse or breast feed too much you will deplete your milk. That is why you need a schedule. Your body will get to use to it.
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 11:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2010