Jumbo Crayons/Pencils for Kindergarteners?

It's required for my son's school.
I personally feel that at 5.5-6 year old kids should be developmentally past jumbo crayons and pencils. (Providing they aren't developmentally delayed or anything)

Can anyone point me in the direction of this being true?

I would like to have something to print out to hand to the teachers on open house so they know why I refuse to send jumbo crayons and pencils.

mckomet

Asked by mckomet at 9:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our K wants regular crayons and supplies the pencils - so I don't know what kind of pencil they use in K.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• IDK. Our pediatrition recommended them for toddlers, but said we should give the kids normal ones once they got the hang of holding them. I have heard from many teachers that using the large ones past a certian age is actually bad, and all of the school around here do not allow them.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• my son has never had jumbo varieties.
    he was in preschool last year and used regular crayons and pencils.

my two year daughter has bee playing with crayons for almost a year now... she never used the jumbo ones either.

i can see where they help toddlers, but still trying to find definite info on them not being recommended for older kids who aren't developmentally challenged.
    mckomet

Comment by mckomet (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I know my daughter used the larger pencils at the start of kindergarten. It was easier for them to learn the fine detail movement of letter writing when they had a larger utensil. As they got better at forming their letters, they moved to regular sized pencils.

Many 5 year olds still lack the fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination to write properly and/or to use the smaller writing implements. For that reason, some prefer to use the thicker pencils and crayons. Come to think of it, when I was in K many moons ago, we did use the fat crayons.

My DD was using regular crayons/pencils at home - and it didn't bother her to use the thicker things at school.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• actually, I think you're going to find it hard to find something showing the thicker options are "not recommended." I've yet to see anything that indicates it's a negative for older hands. It's not going to set them back or be detrimental. It's like using a highlighter vs a pen. It doesn't hurt your ability to write or learn - its' a different shape. There are reasons for using them one I mentioned above. Another is they are harder to break. A third is supplies are often shared and therefore should be uniform.

Pick your battles. You're starting a new school with a new teacher. do you really want the first interaction to be a fight over crayons? It won't hurt your son. Is this really the battle you want to pick? Having a 3rd grader and a 1st grader I can assure you there are bigger issues to confront and you don't want to go into THOSE with the reputation of being one of "those" parents who fights everything - even crayons.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I never let my dd use jumbos...its silly to me since they are goin to upgrade to regulars anyway...i request that she didnt use them in preschool...tell the teacher your son has be using regulars and you dont want to reverse his progress...if she dont agree then talk with the principal...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 1:53 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I totally agree with Idmrmom, why start the new school year off on a sour note, It will not regress your child. I have bought thick/big crayons for my kids even when they were older. I just treated it like it was something different, like twistable pencils. Not bad just different.
    I am sorry I just don't see what the big deal is. It is her classroom and I would just go along with her and still let your child use the "normal" crayons at home. If my sons 2 nd grade teacher asked us all to send in jumbo crayins I just would and not think anything of it, I might ask her why the jumbos but I wouldn't refuse. IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• It won't hurt a thing and if it's what the teacher is using, it's what he needs.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 10:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• 5 year olds can still lack the fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination to write correctly or to correctly use the smaller crayons and pencils. It doesn't really matter what he uses at home for play - this is what the school requires. I'd buy the required items and let the year begin on a good note!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• Some 5 year olds really need the thicker pencils. It's not even about holding it for some, but the thick ones are stronger and the lead won't break after every line and the crayons don't snap in half as easily. They're still learning grip at that age. So, in this case, the teacher knows what she's doing. If jumbo is requested, there's a reason for it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:35 PM on Aug. 11, 2010