Anyone live with their inlaws??

My dh and I are thinking about moving in with his sister cause she has a full finished basement and we want to save money to buy a really nice house. I really like his sister and don't really have many concerns about living with her, but I could be wrong. Does anyone else here live with inlaws whether they are the parents or siblings?

BellaBean23

Asked by BellaBean23 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I lived with my MIL during my husbands last deployment and lets just say it will never happen again.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• sure in the past but it gets old quick. have a goal and set a date otherwise yull be there yrs and relationships can spoil
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 10:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, I have and let me just say this. Living with inlaws or anyone else that you're not used to living with, will have it's challenges. They like things a certain way, you like things another way. There may be privacy issues. Just make sure you all agree to stay really open with each other. It takes a lot of communication and compromise to work, even if the people involved normally get along really well when not living together.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I lived with my MIL and stepFIL for the first year and a half of my relationship with DH. ...and i pray i never have to do that again. I love my MIL and SFIL ...but ...yea.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Only on visits for a week or two when we were in the military and lived far away. I wouldn't do it. We could only take a week or two. We all have different ways of doing things and preferences....it would just cause friction and disagreements,I think. It would have to be a real financial emergency. otherwise,no,never.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We moved in with his mom three years ago to take care of her. I love her, but it is definitely a challenge.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• well funny you should ask... at the moment my BIL has been here for several days (it's not permanent). although there hasn't been any direct problem (which there can be when he's around), it is interfering with my time with my husband, my feeling of privacy, and my space and money, even if not in a big way. but then i'm not the kind of person that likes to be around people constantly. i like it to be the way it has been with just me and the hubs and an occasional visitor. i've had friends live with me that are like family and it was fine. based on other posts i've read here, just make sure you work out household responsibilities, money issues including groceries, privacy, interacting with children (where the boundaries are), etc. ahead of time..
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• i used to. and it was like living in anightmare! they kept trying to make us feel like we aren't helping around the place, even though i did the laundry everyday! but the kicker was that she controled him and my hubby and i are 50/50 on everything.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I used to live with my in-laws. You didn't say anything about kids. But if you have kids, make sure you parent them and not your in-laws. This happened to me. If my kids didn't listen they always went to the Grandparents. It just doesn't work out the way you want it to. Just make sure you don't stay long.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:49 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• yes,and love it.
    A11

Answer by A11 at 1:57 AM on Aug. 11, 2010