Am I having a miscarriage? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm seven weeks pregnant, and I began bleeding on Sunday afternoon and experiencing very mild cramps. The blood wasn't necessarily heavy, but it was definitely more than what I'd consider normal spotting, and it continued throughout the day and is still occurring.

I called my OB immediately, and she had me come in the following day for an ultrasound. I was told the ultrasound revealed no reason to think I am experiencing or going to experience a miscarriage - but it did reveal a second heart beat. I'm carrying twins!

My OB said she couldn't say for sure why I might be bleeding, but she said one possible cause was the fact that she saw a subchorionic hemorrhage on the ultrasound.

The bleeding has continued for three days now, and even though the doctor told me not to worry, I'm still very anxious and want to know if there's anyone else out there who has experienced this and carried their baby to term? Or did you lose yours?

kellaria

Asked by kellaria at 10:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is thought that subchorionic hemorrhage occurs from the rapid growth of the gestational sac. It occurs in about 25% of pregnancies and yours is probably due to the fact that you have rapidly growing twins. Your doctor seems confident, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had a subchorionic hematoma with my last pregnancy, unfortunately that one ended in a m/c but it's not believed to have been the cause. I hope the very best for you and your babies!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 10:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had a friend that did this also. She was fine, just put on bed rest later on
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 10:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If you had sex, it causes bleeding...
    smokisses

Answer by smokisses at 10:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had a SCH with my last preg. and unfortunatly it did end in m/c at 12 weeks with our son. But that pregnancy also started directly after (one cycle apart) from a m/c from a blighted ovum, so I don't think my uterus was ready to sustain another preg. to term.
    I know your doc doesn't sound too worried, and mine didn't either, but stay off your feet as much as you can, rest, rest, and more rest is best at this point. Part of me thinks had I rested more, maybe things would have turned out different.

I did also have one in this preg. at 9 weeks that healed it's self by about 16 weeks, but I also never bled from it. And I also think that's because as soon as I felt it there (and it was confirmed on u/s) I didn't move my butt off the couch! Good luck mama and congrats on the babies!
    SweetiePeasMama

Answer by SweetiePeasMama at 2:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2010