What would you rather have your child see: A mother discreetly breastfeeding without a cover (yes that is possible), or a woman with her boobs falling out of her shirt? Why is it that the latter is more acceptable?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I rather have my child see the breast feeding mama. My 2 year old is smart enough to know what breast feeding is since I BF her baby brother without covers (while in my own home) She knows that breast feed little babies.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well obviously a nursing mother. I also want to add that I don't want ANYBODY in my family to have to look at some chicks thong underpants, belly button or excessive cleavage when I am out to dinner or at a mall or what not. But nursing is inappropriate? That gets the big ole stamp of WTF.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• okay. ...i misread the question the first time i answered.

If the woman is breastfeeding i don't care if its "discrete" or not. The "modesty" in that situation is mute, as far as i'm concerned.

But a woman who has her boobs literally hanging out of her shirt for no other reason then to "be sexy" needs to read the book "So THAT'S what their for".
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nursing.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well i couldn't breast feed so if my children saw a boob they would probably be in shock.
    And if I would have been able to breast feed I would be totally covered up, or I would pump or something.
    I don't want the world to see me.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My older two have seen a woman bf'ing - me feeding their younger brother. It's not even something that would garner any attention from them, any more than a mom bottle feeding does. I have a 12 yo ds though who would notice the woman with her ta-tas hanging out (not to mention my hubby!). I don't know why it's acceptable for a woman to have half her breast hanging out if she strutting in the mall, but not to bf'd in public. I think it has to do with the fact that breasts for the most part are only seen as sexual and seeing an innocent child next to that makes them uncomfortable. But that's their problem, not the bf'ing mothers
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think either one is appropriate in public. I think women should show modesty and discretion by not showing excessive cleavage or just whipping it out to breastfeed.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Id rather see a mom nursing..
    its natural.. its whats best.. and the more we see it the more normal it will become in society..
    seeing boobs hang out of shirts is nothing new.. we see it daily & no one says much about it.. but wow to see a nursing mom & its the talk of the day!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Why do you assume the later *is* more acceptable?

People do it - yes. But people also snicker and make comments about the most overtly flashy.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think it's not more acceptable, but more accepted for women to have breasts hanging out rather than bf'ing in public. Sure people snicker, but more people will say something to a nursing mom than the overtly flashy. Which is why it is seen as more accepted.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 11, 2010