Triaminic

My daughter had a doctors appointment today because she hasn't been feeling good, and the doctor told me to give her Triaminic. When i got to the store and read the label it says any child under 6 shouldn't use it unless told otherwise by the doctor. Which he did say to give it to her, i know, but i'm a worrier. So i called the doctor's office and the nurse sounded kind of unsure but said to give her half the dosage for a 6 year old, which is 1 tbsp. So i'm wondering, is it safe to give my daughter triaminic being so young?

emmalouwho

Asked by emmalouwho at 10:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would follow the instructions on the bottle. Don't give it to her. Try infants Tylenol cold if she has cold symptoms. It is made for babies.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yes, it's fine. you were told to use it by the doctor so you are following the "unless directed by the doctor" part of the label

I personally only do 1/2 the dose told by the doctor for stuff like that. I'm a bit of a worrier too. If after about an hour, if you notice no change, try another dose.

if the label says 1 tbsp, and the nurse said do 1/2, I'd only do 1/4 tbsp
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Our doctors have advised us to use over the counter medication many times that is not "right" for the age. HOWEVER, they have always told us the dosage based on our child's age and weight (weight is more important). Just to make sure, I always ask the pharmacist. So what I would do if I were you, is go to the pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist (not some random tech) and tell the pharmacist that your doctor advised you to give triaminc to your child. Tell the pharmacist the age of your child and the weight of your child and ask the pharmacist how much to give her. The pharmacist will give you the correct answer.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Also, if you already have the medication, call the pharmacy where you got it and ask to speak to the pharmacist over the phone. Then go ahead and ask the pharmacist.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 10:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I went ahead and bought it, but didn't give it to her. I think i wll definetly call the pharmacy in the morning. And the Tylenol cold sounds like a much better idea, at least i know she would be safe taking that.
    emmalouwho

Comment by emmalouwho (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We find the triaminc to be pretty helpful at our house, particularly with cold/respiratory stuff. My daughter has asthma as well. If you can get the pharmacist to tell you how much, I think you might find it really helpful. I hope your little one feels better!
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• heres a bump GL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:41 AM on Aug. 11, 2010